Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Pat Ferrel <pa...@occamsmachete.com> on 2014/02/16 03:38:24 UTC

Dithering and Thompson Sampling

I’m still unclear about how to apply TS to dithering. TS is usually talked about in conjunction with a feedback loop, which make the examples seem more like Multi-armed Bandit examples.

Are you suggesting some feedback in recommender ranking or just using the same distribution assumptions used in TS?

On Feb 8, 2014, at 12:13 PM, Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thompson sampling doesn't require time other than a sense of what do we now
know.  It really is just a correct form for dithering that uses our current
knowledge.

For a worked out version of Thompson sampling with ranking, see this blog:
http://tdunning.blogspot.com/2013/04/learning-to-rank-in-very-bayesian-way.html

The reason that we aren't adding this like cross-rec and other things is
that "we" have full-time jobs, mostly.  Suneel is full-time on Mahout, but
the rest are not.  You seem more active than most.

Re: Dithering and Thompson Sampling

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
The adPredictor paper has a good example of how to do this.

See http://research.microsoft.com/apps/pubs/default.aspx?id=122779