Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> on 2003/01/16 06:27:55 UTC

[Fwd: [announce] Agora 1.1]

Re: [Fwd: [announce] Agora 1.1]

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Yes, you are right on the money. The information is there but it's not
> objectively confrontable like numbers would be. Yes, I admit that the
> 'sticky node' feature was added because I was curious to play 'community
> battles' between different people and see how the community reacted.

I have another one: "fork the community"... pick your player and see if
he/she will be followed by the herd when moving away.

Stefano, you have one big group of loyal worshippers here ;-D

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: [Fwd: [announce] Agora 1.1]

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>  >. . .
>
>> No, I'm very concerned about the abuses that this software might
>> receive, like "I'm more important than you" based on positional location.
>
>  >. . .
>
> I think this kind of information is already present in the current
> version, even if less obvious: dragging a point far away from the
> current cloud and watching how many others follow gives a good feel of
> the influence (as perceived by Agora) of a person in  the community.

Yes, you are right on the money. The information is there but it's not
objectively confrontable like numbers would be. Yes, I admit that the
'sticky node' feature was added because I was curious to play 'community
battles' between different people and see how the community reacted.

I expect people to realize how 'forking' is dangerous by realizing how
much impact even a single major committer leaving will generate in the
community.

> Great piece of software, by the way!
> Helps get a feel for the kind of community relationships that exist.

My dream use would be to run the harvester and generate the datacloud of
the entire foundation. Then use nagoya to render it and save a snapshot
of its evolution, then make a movie of it and keep the new messages
adding new links... like a webcam on the 'status of the foundation'...
would be terribly cool, even if terribly slow... anybody has a few
teraflops that I can borrow? :)

ok, the wildest dream would be to write a distributed computing
environment a-la seti@home and have all apache friends run it to help
the foundation process its own map.... but that's something for the
future :)

--
Stefano Mazzocchi                               <st...@apache.org>

Re: [Fwd: [announce] Agora 1.1]

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
 >. . .
> No, I'm very concerned about the abuses that this software might
> receive, like "I'm more important than you" based on positional
> location.
 >. . .

I think this kind of information is already present in the current
version, even if less obvious: dragging a point far away from the
current cloud and watching how many others follow gives a good feel of
the influence (as perceived by Agora) of a person in  the community.

Great piece of software, by the way!
Helps get a feel for the kind of community relationships that exist.

-Bertrand

Re: [Fwd: [announce] Agora 1.1]

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>

>>>- I assume that the three clouds represent the three mailing lists
>>>  but I'm not sure which cloud is which list, so some more
>>>  detailed information about the connections between the squares
>>>  would be nice
>>
>>Good point, I'll try to work something out (I have a couple of simple
>>ideas to try out)
>

> Colour :-)

Yep, CVS-module-based highlighting would be cool... oh, there is so much
to  :)

--
Stefano Mazzocchi                               <st...@apache.org>

Re: [Fwd: [announce] Agora 1.1]

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> > - I assume that the three clouds represent the three mailing lists
> >   but I'm not sure which cloud is which list, so some more
> >   detailed information about the connections between the squares
> >   would be nice
>
> Good point, I'll try to work something out (I have a couple of simple
> ideas to try out)

Colour :-)

Dw.

Re: [Fwd: [announce] Agora 1.1]

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Gerd Mueller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> That's an really interesting piece of software.

Thank you.

> Some ideas for improvement:
>
> - some kind of zoom mode to zoom into the dense dataclouds

yes, several people have asked for something like this, I might work on it.

> - I assume that the three clouds represent the three mailing lists
>   but I'm not sure which cloud is which list, so some more
>   detailed information about the connections between the squares
>   would be nice

Good point, I'll try to work something out (I have a couple of simple
ideas to try out)

> - some more statistics about a mailing list member could be
>   interesting, e.g. the amount of emails s/he wrote

No, I'm very concerned about the abuses that this software might
receive, like "I'm more important than you" based on positional
location. Agora was designed to *reduce* those "star stages" and keep
people as uniform as possible, by providing numbers and direct ways to
confront you are adding the ability for people to abuse their values by
providing their own significance, while the evolutionary significance of
a runtime symulation is more subdle and easier to abuse.

I consider lack of numerical statistical data a feature, not a bug and
I'll do my best to keep it that way.

Thanks for the input, though, very appreciated.

--
Stefano Mazzocchi                               <st...@apache.org>

Re: [Fwd: [announce] Agora 1.1]

Re: [Fwd: [announce] Agora 1.1]

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

Oops, wrong address, sorry :-/

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [Fwd: [announce] Agora 1.1]

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
FICO! :-)

+1 ;-D

Che ne dici di metterlo su Alexandria? Sto per committare javasrc,
rimettere l'applet e ristartare tutto.

Re: [Fwd: [announce] Agora 1.1]

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Cocoon User wrote:

> hi stefano
>
> very impressive but what realy agora is?

sorry to sound rude, but just read the docs, I've spent quite a few
hours writing them exactly to avoid these questions :-)

--
Stefano Mazzocchi                               <st...@apache.org>

Re: [Fwd: [announce] Agora 1.1]

Posted by Cocoon User <co...@eng.gr>.

hi stefano

very impressive but what realy agora is?

stavros

Re: [Fwd: [announce] Agora 1.1]

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
Oh what a tangled web we weave...Cool!!!!

-- dims

=====
Davanum Srinivas - http://xml.apache.org/~dims/