Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Joarder KAMAL <jo...@gmail.com> on 2013/02/21 00:26:29 UTC

Confusion with Actual Number of Regions in HBase

Dear All,

I am currently running a 3 node HBase cluster with Amazon EC2 small
instance (1CPU, 1.7GB Mem). After running a simple workload (type A) using
YCSB benchmarking tool, I noticed in the Web UI that the number of regions
in the 3 region servers are 7 but when I click to view the table details it
shows there are 5 regions. I am a bit confuse. Does the Web UI showing
wrong results? How can I check region details from the shell/is there any
other command line tools for that? I am using Hbase 0.94.3 (as it is the
latest version compatible with YCSB at this moment) with Hadoop-1.0.4.

Another thing, as you can see the maxHeapMB size is 991 (default setting)
then whenever I am running workloads the server free memory status is
terrible - almost 0MB for 1M/10M transactions (YCSB/Workload-A). My
question is if the maxHeapMB is fixed at 1GB then why I am loosing extra
700MB memory? How can I monitor cpu/memory/io usage for individual cluster
components (HBase/Hadoop/MapRed/ZK, etc.)? Is there any tool available with
HBase?

Thanks a lot.

[image: Inline images 1]

Regards,
Joarder Kamal

PhD Student
Gippsland School of Information Technology,
Faculty of Information Technology,
MONASH University
Churchill VIC, Australia. 3842

Re: Confusion with Actual Number of Regions in HBase

Posted by Joarder KAMAL <jo...@gmail.com>.
Thanks all. Actually the problem happened due to accidentally remove some
security policy which defines the ports to communicate between the servers
and required by ZK to detect region servers.
However, the problem leads me to the opportunity to know how to tune HBase
for long GC pauses as well as others.

Regards,
Joarder Kamal

On 21 February 2013 15:18, ramkrishna vasudevan <

Posted by ramkrishna vasudevan <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joarder KAMAL <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ted,

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.