Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Nick Williams <ni...@nicholaswilliams.net> on 2013/05/15 00:35:34 UTC

OT: How do I subscribe to the Tomcat Dev/User lists with my @apache.org address?

I recently became a committer on the Logging project and thus I now have an @apache.org address. Since it's a forwarding address, I'm having it forward to my Google Apps email address (the address I'm sending from now).

I'd like to subscribe to the Tomcat Dev and User lists with my @apache.org address. I've set up my @apache.org address as an additional "From" address in GMail. If I send an email from GMail to my $work address and select my @apache.org address is my from address, it shows up as "from" my @apache.org address when I receive the email on the other end. But when I tried to subscribe by sending an email from my @apache.org address to dev-subscribe@tomcat.apache.org, it replied that my GMail address was already subscribed.

Does anyone have any experience with this? How do you subscribe your @apache.org addresses?

Nick

Re: OT: How do I subscribe to the Tomcat Dev/User lists with my @apache.org address?

Posted by Nicholas Williams <ni...@apache.org>.
On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 7:13 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 15 May 2013 00:37, Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
> wrote:
> > Nick,
> >
> > On 5/14/13 6:35 PM, Nick Williams wrote:
> >> I recently became a committer on the Logging project and thus I now
> have an @apache.org address. Since it's a forwarding address, I'm having
> it forward to my Google Apps email address (the address I'm sending from
> now).

> apache.org address. I've set up my @apache.org address as an additional
> "From" address in GMail. If I send an email from GMail to my $work address
> and select my @apache.org address is my from address, it shows up as
> "from" my @apache.org address when I receive the email on the other end.
> dev-subscribe@tomcat.apache.org, it replied that my GMail address was
> already subscribed.
> >>
> >> Does anyone have any experience with this? How do you subscribe your @
> apache.org addresses?
> >
> > You have to configure your @apache.org address as a /sender/ and not
> > just a recipient. Basically, your email client needs to have an account
> > with you@apache.org.
> >
> > Or you could just do what I do and not bother with using the @apache.org
> > on the mailing lists.
>
> Indeed, but if you really want to subscribe as your ASF address:
>
> The mailing list software supports 3rd party [un]subscriptions, see:

> Just change
>
> list-unsubscribe-user=...

> list-subscribe-user=...

Thanks, Sebb. I was able to use this technique to subscribe my
@apache.orgaddress, but then when I tried to send an email to the list
it thought I
was sending from my (unsubscribed) GMail address and rejected it, saying I
wasn't subscribed.

I believe it boiled down to the "Sender" header, as Chris suggested.
Messages I sent using the @apache.org from address had my
@apache.orgaddress in the "From" header but my GMail address in the
"Sender" header.
This is a standards-compliance thing when a server sends emails on behalf
of a domain it is not authoritative for.

I took a different approach, and I think it will work. In GMail account
settings, you can tell it to send email for a particular From address
through different SMTP servers. I set it up to send through Apache's
people.apache.org. Actually, I clicked the "Send email through @apache.org's
SMTP servers" and GMail pre-populated the field with people.apache.org, so
it knew something apparently. Now the emails I send don't have "Sender"
headers anymore, so that has to be a good sign, right?

I'm sending this email from my @apache.org address so we'll see if it works.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Nick,

On 5/14/13 6:35 PM, Nick Williams wrote:
> I recently became a committer on the Logging project and thus I now have an @apache.org address. Since it's a forwarding address, I'm having it forward to my Google Apps email address (the address I'm sending from now).
>
> I'd like to subscribe to the Tomcat Dev and User lists with my @apache.org address. I've set up my @apache.org address as an additional "From" address in GMail. If I send an email from GMail to my $work address and select my @apache.org address is my from address, it shows up as "from" my @apache.org address when I receive the email on the other end. But when I tried to subscribe by sending an email from my @apache.org address to dev-subscribe@tomcat.apache.org, it replied that my GMail address was already subscribed.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with this? How do you subscribe your @apache.org addresses?

You have to configure your @apache.org address as a /sender/ and not
just a recipient. Basically, your email client needs to have an account
with you@apache.org.

Or you could just do what I do and not bother with using the @apache.org
on the mailing lists.

-chris