Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Asmita Vagyani <As...@sigma-systems.com> on 2013/01/23 14:16:40 UTC

Cloudstack 4 - Accounts Isolation in a Domain

Hi ,

I read in a blog : (Source - http://docs.cloudstack.org/index.php?title=CloudStack_Documentation/FAQ:_CloudStack/How_are_users%2C_accounts%2C_and_domains_handled_in_CloudStack%3F&action=source)
It says:

CloudStack platform users are assigned accounts.
An account is typically a customer of the service provider or a department in a large organization.
Accounts are the unit of isolation in the cloud. Accounts are grouped by domains.
Domains usually contain accounts that have some logical relationship to each other and a set of delegated administrators with some authority over the domain and its subdomains.
For example, a service provider with several resellers could create a domain for each reseller.

My question is,

In a domain D1, I have two accounts A1 and A2 in D1.
Account A1 has a VM1 assigned and Account A2 has a VM2 assigned.
If the accounts are said to be in isolation ,then the VM1 used by account A1 and VM2  used by account A2 will not be able to talk to each other?
Is my understanding correct?
Or is the communication between VM1 and VM2 possible since they in the same domain?
Please clarify.

Thanks and Regards.

Asmita Patil Vagyani.

Posted by Clayton Weise <cw...@iswest.net>.
There is a giant shared network (albeit hidden from users) in a basic network and that is the public network which is used to assign IP addresses to instances in that zone.  I haven't done enough work with basic networks and their associated network offerings to know whether or not it's possible to create a shared network that is domain-specific in a basic zone but it's worth a shot (although it may only be available for creation through the API and not the UI).

Posted by Asmita Vagyani <As...@sigma-systems.com>.
Thanks Geoff, for  answering all my questions. :)

Thanks and Regards.

Asmita Patil Vagyani.

Posted by Clayton Weise <cw...@iswest.net>.
Asmita, you are correct unless you created a network that belongs to the domain and not the account (which is not what CloudStack does by default).  In the case of an advanced zone, each account would have their own isolated network and would not be able to see each other.  In the case of a basic zone there is a network shared between ALL accounts in that zone.

Assuming you're doing advanced networking there is a way for two accounts to share resources and that's through the use of projects.  If both accounts are in the same domain, you could create a project which is shared by both accounts.  Any resources created within that project are owned _by_ the project and so multiple accounts can share the same set of resources.