Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Nathan Stott <nr...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/19 16:21:54 UTC

replication users

 Are there any special considerations when replicating the _users
database as opposed to normal databases?  Is this a good way to share
users between servers that should share users and trust one another?

Re: replication users

Posted by J Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org>.
On Aug 20, 2010, at 7:14 AM, zecat wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm very interested to get any information on this topic too, and in security replication in general.
> I plan to deploy several couchdb instance, and I plan to implement different users and roles to use on this cloud.
> I think, I don't understand very well the user/role and replication mechanism. I tried different configuration.
> As far as I understand, the _users databases can be replicated, but not the user and role assigned on another database.

Yes, this is true. Replicating the _users database is totally fine (note that the replicator must have admin privileges on the target database, or else on the currently logged in user's document will be replicated.)

> Example :
> - I created a tesdb on couchdb1
> - I applied a security setting (with Futon ) to define some admins and readers names/roles ,
> - I defined a replica of  testb on couchdb2
> - I launched a replication job between couchdb1/testdb and couchdb2/testdb.
> But it seems there is no security replicated from couchdb1/testdb to couchdb2/testdb.

The security configuration object is not replicated. This is by design, as one replica may be on an end-user machine, and another on shared cloud instance, necessitating different rules.

Re: replication users

Posted by zecat <co...@lechat.org>.
Hi everyone,