Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de> on 2008/08/28 19:18:53 UTC

Setting up james-testing

Hi,

We need to start eating our own dogfood, at least kind of. Otherwise, we
will never release any Mail Server again. :-) Soooo...

I am planning to set up a dedicated server for testing James Server
running under the domain james-testing.de .

It will be a virtual server with nothing else running than a current
off-the-trunk spring-deployment-flavored James. The OS will probably be
Debian Etch, heap will be under 1 GB (sorry for that).

I want this server to be accessible by all interested Server committers,
so providing shell logins is definitively planned.

To make this right, I need your input about how the Server and James in
particular should be configured concerning:

+ DNS
+ JDK (1.6? Harmony?)
+ java runtime properties/diagnostics
+ James Server config
+ Server Backend (dbfile or something else?)
   Note: I am not a big mySql fan, but could run it regardlessly

If this is all going well and nobody objects, I would check the
configuration into svn.

Then, when at some point we get a zone at the ASF, we could run a more
conservative setup there and an alternative setup on james-testing.de,
or whatever we come up with.

WDYT?

   Bernd

Re: Setting up james-testing

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
Bernd Fondermann schrieb:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 23:48, Robert Burrell Donkin
> <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Why not just requesting a zone for it ? I think hosting this on ASF Hardware
>>> is preferable ..
>>> I can handle the zone creation for us. Does it work for the others ?
>>>
>> having a zone would be great
>>

> +1
>
> but additional resources won't hurt either.
>

>> having a box on non-ASF hardware would also be useful for honey trapping
>>

> yes, or more experimental setups.
>
> But I am all +1 for the zone.
>
>   Bernd
Ok, I created the the "task" to keep track of it:

I hope I will have the time to take care the next days.

Cheers,
Norman

Re: Setting up james-testing

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 7:47 AM, Bernd Fondermann
<be...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 23:48, Robert Burrell Donkin
> <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Why not just requesting a zone for it ? I think hosting this on ASF Hardware
>>> is preferable ..
>>> I can handle the zone creation for us. Does it work for the others ?
>>
>> having a zone would be great
>
> +1
>
> but additional resources won't hurt either.

+1

>> having a box on non-ASF hardware would also be useful for honey trapping
>
> yes, or more experimental setups.

+1

i would like to see the apache zone targetted at verifying the JAMES
server product 3.0 as it's intended to be shipped.

> But I am all +1 for the zone.

+1

- robert

Re: Setting up james-testing