Posted to dev@abdera.apache.org by Ugo Cei <ug...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/20 14:04:26 UTC

Re: Thread safety, static variables, etc

On Aug 22, 2006, at 9:58 PM, James M Snell wrote:

> As Garrett has pointed out, the current approach to handling the
> Abdera
> configuration model has a number of important thread safety and class
> loader issues that had largely been ignored in the initial drop of the
> code.  After talking with Garrett a bit, we both feel that now
> might be
> the best time to address those issues, before we get much further down
> the road.

I think I am being bitten by concurrency issues when using 0.1.0. Are
they supposedly fixed in trunk? In case they are, I could produce a
suite of tests that fail against 0.1.0 and run them against trunk to
see if they succeed.

What I am asking is whether there are any tests already for this, so
I can see if my cases are already covered by those. If this is not
the case, I might add my tests to the current suite.

	Ugo

--
Ugo Cei
Blog: http://agylen.com/

Re: Thread safety, static variables, etc

Posted by James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com>.
Yes, the concurrency issues should be fixed in the trunk but no, there
are no tests yet to make sure.  Not all of the code is threadsafe tho.
None of the model.* classes should be considered threadsafe.  You'll
definitely need to provide your own synchronization if you want to do
something silly like, allowing multiple threads to modify a single Entry
:-).

A suite of concurrency tests would be very welcome.

- James