Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Nicholas Sherlock <n....@gmail.com> on 2009/02/10 13:28:10 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: optimizing apache web server

J. Bakshi wrote:
> I am running an apache server at a remote debian box which have 4 GB RAM
> and quad-core intel CPU. During the development period the site was
> first. But after finishing the site when people start to access it, the
> site some times become very very very slow. There is no noticeable load
> on the system, but still the site is not working  as fast as it were in
> its development period.

Double check that you aren't using your swapfile (the 'top' utility can
tell you this). If too many concurrent Apache processes are allowed,
they'll soak up all your RAM and more, and having to swap them to disk
kills performance stone dead. While you're in 'top', you might check to
see what is using the CPU while the site is running slow.

Does your site use a database? Could the slowdown be due to competition
for exclusive locks on tables? This could cause a site slowdown even
with low CPU usage.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Re: [users@httpd] Re: optimizing apache web server

Posted by "J. Bakshi" <jo...@infoservices.in>.
Anthony J. Biacco wrote:
> Did you compile apache from source or use a binary package?
> List any 3rd party modules you're using, if any. Does typo use php? I forget.
> Run an strace on the apache process consuming the CPU and see what it's doing at the time of trouble.
> Run lsof on the process to see if any unusual files or exorbanat amount of sockets are open
> Run vmstat to check on the status/numberof waiting or queued processes and type of cpu wait (system/user/disk)
> Turn on query logging in mysql and watch the query log for an unusual amount of queries or large data queries at the time the apache process is consuming the CPU.
>
> -Tony

Hello Tony,

Thanks for your response. The remote server is based on debian and I
installed the apache2 based on apt-get. yes typo3 is using php-5.2.5.
The hints you have provided is really very helpful. I'll do it accordingly.

Thanks a lot

Posted by "J. Bakshi" <jo...@infoservices.in>.