Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Jerry Malcolm <te...@malcolms.com> on 2022/02/08 05:17:49 UTC

iPhone Problems

Several years ago, I and a bunch of my clients who have iPhones all had
problems getting mail to download on their phones.  One or two emails
would randomly trickle in to inboxes.  But the majority of the mail just
simply would not download.  On those same accounts, Thunderbird and
Outlook desktop apps are always rock solid.  All mail displays
correctly.  No issues at all on the desktop.  So I know the mail is
there.  A lot of this previously occurred when I was migrating from a
dedicated server to Amazon Web Services back around 2018, and the
problems were chalked up to Lucene indexing problems that occurred with
the migration.  I never could get reindexing to work back then. So I
gave up for a while and just didn't trust my iPhone to give me mail.
Then I found the Edison email app for iPhone.  I downloaded it and it
seemed to fix the problems   I recommended it to all of my clients that
were having problems.  Now.... Edison mail app is doing the same thing
the iPhone mail app did.  A large number of my clients are no longer
getting mail on their iPhone/iPad other than the 3 or 4 random emails
(out of usually 20-25 emails each day) that somehow make it through the
blockade and still download.

Interestingly, it's not on every account.  I have a couple of accounts
that still download fine.  But the majority of my accounts and many of
my clients' accounts are totally blocked up. And once they are blocked,
I've found nothing that can fix them and get mail flowing again.

I don't know a whole lot about the inner workings of the Lucene
datastore.  But if the index is messed up, it would seem that it could
easily cause some symptoms like I'm seeing.  But (see my previous post),
I'm dead in the water on being able to clean up the Lucene indexes.

If reindexing should fix this, then I've got to figure out why I can't
reindex.  If you think this iPhone issue is something else, I'm looking
forward to suggestions.  I need to get my clients happy again....

Thanks.

Jerry