Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Charles Brockman <c...@cbpwd.com> on 2019/07/15 17:26:47 UTC

Netbeans 11.0 - Unable to Open Sources Directory

Here's the details of my installation:
Apache NetBeans IDE 11.0 (Build incubator-netbeans-release-404-on-20190319)
Java 11.0.2; OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM 11.0.2+9
Runtime: OpenJDK Runtime Environment 11.0.2+9
Kubuntu Linux 18.10
KDE Plasma Version 5.15.4
KDE Frameworks Version 5.54.0
Qt Version 5.11.1
Kernel Version 4.18.0-25-generic
OS Type: 64-bit
Apache/2.4.34 (Ubuntu)
PHP Version 7.2.19-0ubuntu0.18.10.1

I am trying to create a new NetBeans HTML5/JavaScript project from
existing code. Here's the command sequence that I use in NetBeans:

File > New Project > Category: HTML5/JavaScript > Project: HTML5/JS
Application with Existing Sources.
Then I select Next.
Now in the Name and Location > Site Root > Browse panel, I try to select
the site root which is /var/www/html/mywebsite.

In the Select Site Root panel, I set Look In to the root directory (/)
and Files of Type is set to All Files.
I scroll down to the /var/ directory and expand the listing to see all
the subdirectories.

Seventeen subdirectories exist on the computer within the /var/
directory but NetBeans only lists six. The /www/ directory is not one of
them. In fact, NetBeans shows three subdirectories under /var/ that do
not exist in the real /var/ directory! (/var/config/, /var/data/ and
/var/db/)

The same behavior is seen in the Source Folder and the Project Directory
fields.

NetBeans shows nothing in the Notifications panel.

NetBeans is running under my user and the folder I'm trying to list is
owned by my user. It has permissions of drwxrwxr-x.

I couldn't find a solution for this problem in Apache's JIRA issue
tracker, mail-archives.apache.org nor Stack Overflow.

How can I get NetBeans to see my source directories?

--
Charles Brockman

Re: Netbeans 11.0 - Unable to Open Sources Directory

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
And, if not, probably best to create a symlink from there to where you want
to work with your projects:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/498578/circular-symbolic-link-in-var-www

Gj

Posted by Charles Brockman <c...@cbpwd.com>.
On 7/16/19 3:01 PM, Geertjan Wielenga wrote:
> Also, what does 'essentially' mean in: "The listing in my file manager
> is essentially the same."

The Dolphin file manager presents the same information as the plain text
terminal but uses a graphical user interface (GUI).

Posted by Charles Brockman <c...@cbpwd.com>.
On 7/16/19 10:17 AM, Geertjan Wielenga wrote:
> There must be something different between the folders you’re seeing
> and those you’re not seeing, something somewhere must be different
> between them.

Here's the output from a terminal showing the contents of the /var/
directory:

drwxr-xr-x   2 root    root      4096 Jul 16 07:43 backups/
drwxr-xr-x  22 root    root      4096 Mar 17 11:16 cache/
drwxrwsrwt   2 root    whoopsie  4096 Jul 16 09:06 crash/
drwxr-xr-x   3 root    root      4096 Mar  1 14:14 games/
drwxr-xr-x  86 root    root      4096 Apr  6 15:36 lib/
drwxrwsr-x   2 root    staff     4096 Apr 24  2018 local/
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root    root         9 Feb  7 10:10 lock -> /run/lock/
drwxrwxr-x  17 root    syslog    4096 Jul 16 10:55 log/
drwxrwsr-x   2 root    mail      4096 Jul 16 11:07 mail/
drwxrwsrwt   2 root    whoopsie  4096 Apr 26  2018 metrics/
drwxr-xr-x   2 root    root      4096 Apr 26  2018 opt/
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root    root         4 Feb  7 10:10 run -> /run/
drwxr-xr-x   8 root    root      4096 Apr  1 10:21 snap/
drwxr-xr-x   9 root    root      4096 Feb 23 10:48 spool/
drwxrwsr-x   3 charles svn       4096 May 17 08:33 subversion/
drwxrwxrwt 155 root    root     12288 Jul 16 11:09 tmp/
drwxrwxr-x   4 charles www-data  4096 May  3 11:17 www/

The listing in my file manager is essentially the same.

Now compare what is on the disk with the directories found by NetBeans
by checking it against the JPEG image that I sent you:

backups/ is not seen.
cache/ (with identical owner, group and permissions) IS seen.
crash/ is not seen.
config/ is seen by NetBeans but does not exist.
data/ is seen by NetBeans but does not exist.
db/ is seen by NetBeans but does not exist.
games/ is not seen.
lib/ is not seen.
lock -> /run/lock/ (a symlink) is not seen.
log/ is not seen.
mail/ is not seen.
metrics/ is not seen.
opt/ is not seen.
run -> /run/ (a symlink) is seen by NetBeans.
snap/ is not seen.
spool/ is not seen.
subversion/ is not seen.
tmp/ is seen by NetBeans.
www/ is not seen.

The tally for the /var/ directory is seventeen folders or symlinks on
the drive, three of which appear in the NetBeans listing and three
folders that NetBeans lists that do not appear on the hard drive.

My email concerning the symbolic link experiment follows.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 12:17 AM Charles Brockman <c...@cbpwd.com> wrote:

> On 7/16/19 2:45 PM, Geertjan Wielenga wrote:
> > The point of the symbolic link is to not create it in the /var/
> > folder but in /home/charles/somewhere, i.e., in your home directory.
>
> Okay, I have created a symlink:
>
> $ sudo ln -s /var/www /home/charles/netbeanslink
>
> ...which gives me:
>
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Jul 16 14:53 netbeanslink -> /var/www/
>
> That works! I can now navigate to the source directory of my Website
> inside NetBeans. I'll use the symlink method as a workaround.

Hurray.

I wouldn't say it's a workaround though -- it's probably the best way to
work, i.e., doing work in your var folder is probably not optimal.

Gj

Posted by Charles Brockman <c...@cbpwd.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
Also, what does 'essentially' mean in: "The listing in my file manager is
essentially the same."

Thanks,

Gj

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Charles Brockman <c...@cbpwd.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
There must be something different between the folders you’re seeing and
those you’re not seeing, something somewhere must be different between them.

Or the /var/ folder you’re looking at on disk is different to the folder
you have open in the Favorites window.

Posted by Charles Brockman <c...@cbpwd.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Charles Brockman <c...@cbpwd.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Charles Brockman <c...@cbpwd.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
This should help:

Posted by Charles Brockman <c...@cbpwd.com>.

Posted by Malcolm Fitzgerald <ma...@notyourhomework.net>.
The wordpress domain is a public, publishing platform. Joomla users are welcome too :-) The more important issue is that the web page is talking about the /var/db folder on Mac OS X and you're running Kubuntu.

malcolm

Posted by Charles Brockman <c...@cbpwd.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
Here's info about var/db: https://shellzero.wordpress.com/tag/vardb/

Use google, it works.

Gj

Posted by Charles Brockman <c...@cbpwd.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
Please stop excluding the mailing list, right now you're only writing
directly to me.

Possibly they really do exist, just are not marked visible, i.e., they're
hidden somehow.

When I google around, there's quite some info around var/www and NetBeans,
e.g.:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/40054/how-do-i-save-files-in-var-www-in-netbeans

When you respond, can you make sure to include the mailing list?

Thanks,

Gj

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
So what's the difference between the source directories that NetBeans sees
and those that it does not see?

Gj