Posted to dev@continuum.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2010/12/02 13:57:44 UTC

folding Redback into Archiva or Continuum?

(Apologies for cross-posting - replies are best sent back to dev@redback, unless it's specific to one of the other projects).

After initial attempts to gain external interest, some time has elapsed and it seems obvious that Redback hasn't been used outside of Continuum and Archiva. Further, it is unlikely to grow in the way they use it. I'm not sure it makes sense to remain as a standalone project, and it appeals to me to have all of the code under Apache. Less lists to subscribe to and more consolidated activity makes sense to me too.

It's also true that moving doesn't buy much immediate benefit other than consolidation, so maybe it is fine where it is :)

If it were to move, as it's unlikely to establish it's own community, I don't think incubation would make sense. Instead, after clearing the IP, I would suggest a subproject of either Continuum or Archiva. In terms of committer overlap, the larger overlap of distinct committers is with Continuum (Marica and Olivier) vs Archiva (James), with Marica being the most recently active.

Given that, I would think a subproject of Continuum makes sense - but that we should agree that all Archiva committers should have commit access to it and a binding vote on any releases. Does anyone feel strongly it should be the other way around?

What do others think? If it's worth doing I will call a formal vote.

Cheers,
Brett

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org

Re: [redback-dev] folding Redback into Archiva or Continuum?

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@gmail.com>.
Yes, it makes sense to host it under Archiva or Continuum but we need to
keep attention on circular dependencies.

Actually, Continuum uses some Archiva artifacts so if Redback is hosted by
Continuum and used by Archiva, we'll have this graph:

Archiva --> Continuum (Redback) --> Archiva

So, I think it must be an independant project (even under Archiva or
Continuum) with its own release process.

My 2 cents,
Emmanuel

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@gmail.com>.

Re: folding Redback into Archiva or Continuum?

Posted by Louis Smith <dr...@gmail.com>.
Not sure if any of my folks have time to contribute to Redback.  Right now,
I have them working on an extension to Continuum that we need for our
project status monitoring/reporting dashboard, so they are busy learning the
full continuum suite to figure that all out.  If we can get the Continuum
changes done, we might be able to contribute to redback.  I'll ping the
staff to see what interest there might be.

In order to use Redback on other projects, it would be easier if it were
stand-alone, of course.

I'd be happy to contribute suggestions and join in the discussions - but I
honestly don't have time to work on any fun code... I have to re-build *my*
environment with all the new toys as well...

Louis

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Louis Smith <dr...@gmail.com>.
Interesting timing on this.  We are in the process of rolling out the latest

Posted by Louis Smith <dr...@gmail.com>.