Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by "Olano, Ever" <oe...@cybersource.com> on 2006/01/27 01:04:25 UTC

Guidelines for handling Axis client exceptions? How to tell timeouts?

Hello.  I apologize if this has been asked and answered before.  The
archive search functionality on the site was giving me an error.

I am testing various WS toolkits against our own Web Service and would
like to provide sample code for our customers.  I am now looking at Axis
and WSS4J (for signing the outgoing requests) and I do not know what
sort of exception handling I should put in my sample client code.  Is
there documentation or sample code somewhere that demonstrates the
exceptions that we should look out for and how to handle them when
calling a WS operation?  Specifically, I would like to be able to tell
if a timeout occurred while waiting for the web service's reply.  It is
crucial that our clients know whether that's that case so they could
follow-up on that particular request.

I've looked in the samples and they all just throw and/or catch the
generic Exception class.  I've also google'd and found nothing.

The only two classes that my compiler is forcing me to catch are:

javax.xml.rpc.ServiceException

java.rmi.RemoteException

>From my initial searches on these two exceptions, I could not find
anything regarding timeouts.  All I know is RemoteException may actually
be an AxisFault or a NoEndPointException (any others?).  Will a timeout
show up as an AxisFault, perhaps?  If so, what is the faultcode I should
look out for?

I guess I could force our WS to not reply so as to trigger a timeout but
I would appreciate off-hand information from anyone.  I would still love
some general exception handling guidelines for Axis clients.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ever