Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com> on 2011/11/09 11:25:59 UTC

On 8 November 2011 19:23, Louis Suárez-Potts <ls...@gmail.com> wrote:

> now the
> project's representative on all three ODF TCs at Oasis, as well as its
> representative to Software in the Public Interest.>

Louis,

Whilst I, as a mentor, welcome you contributions here I feel compelled
to point out that you are not the "project's representative on all
three ODF TCs at Oasis, as well as its representative to Software in
the Public Interest".

Only PPMC members who are active and engaged with the project in an
ongoing and constructive fashion can claim to be a part of the project
and, even then, they are not "representatives" of the project. They
are individuals who happen to have a *personal* opinion about the
project.

Occasionally the PPMC may appoint someone to speak for the project in
various forums. To my knowledge the OOo PPMC has not yet granted
approval for anyone to speak on the projects behalf.

Is this an important point? Probably not in the bigger scheme of
things. However, this is a podling learning how ASF projects work and
therefore, as a mentor, I feel compelled to point out that a signature
of this form is not appropriate in an Apache Project - regardless of
how constructive your contributions are.

Ross

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Programme Leader (Open Development)

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
On 9 November 2011 05:07, Louis Suárez-Potts <ls...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What I'll do is re-cast my shadow to be
> representing me, Louis, in personae Louis, and if my interests and
> those of Apache OOo coincide, then whoopee.

Perfect!

Thanks for understanding.

Ross

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <ls...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 9 November 2011 05:25, Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com> wrote:
> On 8 November 2011 19:23, Louis Suárez-Potts <ls...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> now the
>> project's representative on all three ODF TCs at Oasis, as well as its
>> representative to Software in the Public Interest.>
>

> Louis,
>
> Whilst I, as a mentor, welcome you contributions here I feel compelled
> to point out that you are not the "project's representative on all
> three ODF TCs at Oasis, as well as its representative to Software in
> the Public Interest".

Actually, that's an interesting question. I don't mean to assert a
stance I cannot hold legitimately, but earlier this year, when there
was an OOo, I was appointed that role and OOo paid for my Oasis
membership. I continue to more broadly advocate the ODF.

> Only PPMC members who are active and engaged with the project in an
> ongoing and constructive fashion can claim to be a part of the project
> and, even then, they are not "representatives" of the project. They
> are individuals who happen to have a *personal* opinion about the
> project.

I fully understand. I raised this issue with some members of the Oasis
ODF TCs. Again, I don't mean to assert untenable or illegitimate
stances.

> Occasionally the PPMC may appoint someone to speak for the project in
> various forums. To my knowledge the OOo PPMC has not yet granted
> approval for anyone to speak on the projects behalf.
>
> Is this an important point? Probably not in the bigger scheme of
> things. However, this is a podling learning how ASF projects work and
> therefore, as a mentor, I feel compelled to point out that a signature
> of this form is not appropriate in an Apache Project - regardless of
> how constructive your contributions are.

Thanks. This gets confusing, if not for me (it isn't), then outside of
my own particular carapace. What I'll do is re-cast my shadow to be
representing me, Louis, in personae Louis, and if my interests and
those of Apache OOo coincide, then whoopee.

Cheers,

louis