Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Pierre Chastagner <sc...@hotmail.com> on 2008/07/03 01:42:20 UTC

[VFS][commons-compress] How to participate ?

Hello,

I would like to get more information on how to get involved into the process of helping for the commons-compress library. Is there a project plan, something which says what already works and so on ? Well I'd like to get more details on how to help ;)

Thanks !
Pierre

http://www.live.com/getstarted.aspx

Re: [VFS][commons-compress] How to participate ?

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hello Pierre,
thanks for offering your help!
commons-compress currently has some drawbacks. Torsten and I started
a redesign. Since I am not a committer of Apache, we started this redesign
as GIT repository.
Once we feel that commons-compress is in a good state, Torsten (or another
interested
committer) will put that compress code into the apache-codebase. As soon as
compress-release is done, VFS will delete all compress code von its codebase
and depend on commons-compress.

You can start immediatly if you install GIT. On a Windows box I have good
expierence
with cygwin (simply choose GIT in the installer), on a Mac box I use ports.

To check out:
git clone git://projects.grobmeier.de/compress-redesign.git

You should have a copy of my repos. Of course you have to sync with Torsten
repos too.
git pull git://vafer.org/compress.git

Do some changes. After that you can publish your repos to any webhost and we
can pull your stuff.
At the moment i have several items on my list, for example:

- update zip code with code from ant (I do that currently)
- enhance TestCases
- implement more of ChangeSet
- general clean up
- integrate with maven again (its broken)

Thanks,
Chris.