Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Marcel Reutegger <ma...@gmx.net> on 2009/02/19 12:48:20 UTC

Jackrabbit on Hadoop

Hi all,

I recently committed a PersistenceManager and a DataStore
implementation based on Hadoop. It's in sandbox/jackrabbit-hadoop. The
PersistenceManager uses Hadoop HBase, which is something similar to
Googles BigTable. The data store implementation uses plain Hadoop
HDFS. The performance is surprisingly good. On my machine the
JCRAPITests take 40 seconds compared to 35 seconds with the default
derby persistence manager.

feedback welcome.

regards
 marcel

Re: Jackrabbit on Hadoop

Posted by Marcel Reutegger <ma...@gmx.net>.
Hi,

Now it's even more fun. I just added a Journal implementation on
HBase. This makes it possible to run Jackrabbit cluster nodes on
Hadoop. Please note that for now a patch for HBase 0.19.0 is required
to get the journal to work.

regards
 marcel

Re: Jackrabbit on Hadoop

Posted by Marcel Reutegger <ma...@gmx.net>.
Hi,

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 11:21, imadhusudhanan <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Marcel,, its thats really good to see. We have a DFS cluster set up. I
> think I m ok with the DataStore implementation. Could I use it with out
> hadoop implementation ??.

I'm not sure I understand. The data store implementation in
sandbox/jackrabbit-hadoop uses the Hadoop API, so you cannot use this
persistence manager without Hadoop.

> The Persistence manager that u wrote is only when
> u talk about maintaining files in a DB correct ??

No, a PersistenceManager in Jackrabbit takes care of storing
ItemStates. Those are the elements that contain the data of a JCR
Item.

regards
 marcel

Re: Jackrabbit on Hadoop

Posted by imadhusudhanan <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Marcel,, its thats really good to see. We have a DFS cluster set up. I think I m ok with the DataStore implementation. Could I use it with out hadoop implementation ??. The Persistence manager that u wrote is only when u talk about maintaining files in a DB correct ??

 On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 Marcel Reutegger <ma...@gmx.net> wrote ----

Re: Jackrabbit on Hadoop

Posted by Marcel Reutegger <ma...@gmx.net>.
Hi,

Re: Jackrabbit on Hadoop

Posted by Alessandro Bologna <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi Marcel

sounds really great. I am assuming you tested it on a single machine. Any
plan to leverage HDFS in a JR cluster? Would it even be feasible?
Alessandro