Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by John Brayton <jb...@virtualsanity.com> on 2002/03/19 01:01:00 UTC

mod_webapp and SSL

Hi,

I wonder if someone could help me with a problem I'm running into.

I have an Apache server that accepts HTTP and HTTPS requests and
forwards them to Tomcat running on the same machine.  If the browser
requests a page via HTTP, it works as desired.  If the browser
requests the page via HTTPS and the request is supposed to go to
Tomcat, the server returns the following error (as an HTML page) to
the browser:

     WebApp: Error 500
     (File: pr_warp.c Line: 438)

There is nothing Tomcat-specific in the Apache VirtualHost entries.

Everything works as expected if the browser requests the page via
HTTPS directly from Tomcat (using an HTTPS request), but I'd like to
route the requests through the Apache server.

I found some posts from mid-late 2001 regarding adding SSL support to
mod_webapp.  Does this imply that requests simply cannot be routed
through mod_webapp yet?

Config Info:
     -Mac OS X (10.1.3)
     -Apache 1.3.22
     -mod_ssl 2.8.5
     -OpenSSL 0.9.6b
     -Tomcat 4.0.3
     -mod_webapp 1.0

Any help would be appreciated -- even if just to say "that won't
work", then I'll know.  :-)

Thanks!

John