Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Hari Sreekumar <hs...@clickable.com> on 2011/01/02 09:01:44 UTC

Using timestamps other than system time?

Hi,

I plan to use custom unique values in place of timestamps for my
application. What are the possible issues with this? I know versioning works
great if we use system timestamp, but I remember seeing issues when using
other timestamps. I tried looking into the issues.apache.org page, but it
seems the version numbers are not tagged correctly. I just wanted to confirm
if there are any well-known outstanding issues with timestamp versioning in
my version 0.20.6. Which kind of stamps have been tried before and are known
to work correctly all the time?

Thanks,
Hari

Re: Using timestamps other than system time?

Posted by Suraj Varma <sv...@gmail.com>.
This is a good article to understand timestamps in HBase - worth reading:
http://outerthought.org/blog/417-ot.html
--Suraj