Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Roberto Galoppini <rg...@geek.net> on 2012/08/09 14:42:54 UTC

Extensions and Templates New Features

Below what's new, I also blogged about that at SourceForge blog.

1) Download statistics are now automatically obtained via the
SourceForge API and are more reliable than the old system, in which
the counters had been turned off and remained stuck for a long time
due to inaccuracies in the counting procedures and incompatibilities
with cache system. By the way, the SourceForge API is the same system
used for the official Apache OpenOffice counter downloads.
Additionally, since we can’t calculate statistics for externally
hosted extensions as reliably, their download counters have been
removed and they won’t appear in the “Most Popular Extensions”
listings. This is also the case for Commercial extensions with no
public releases. Note that the default home page of the Extensions
site has been set back to "Most Popular Extensions", as we believe
that newcomers would probably benefit from having the top extensions
in the home page. To provide visitors only meaningful statistics, the
daily download numbers have been replaced by a link to a timeline with
real-time statistics, charts and analysis.

2) The new antispam system is now online on the Extensions site. We’ve
tested it extensively. Since the live site receives up to 50 spam
submissions per day it was pretty easy to figure out if it was working
properly. It has been in operation for over a week and so far has
proved very effective. For end-users this means meaningful comments
are more visible and the possibility of adding comments if needed
(something we had to temporarily block for some titles because of the
spam).

3) We updated the graphic theme of the site and the primary links to
reflect the new name and new logo for Apache OpenOffice. In this way
visitors can more easily identify these sites as the official
repositories of OpenOffice Extensions and Templates, and they can be
confident that they are still maintained.

Roberto

--
====

Re: Extensions and Templates New Features

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi Roberto,

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 04:17:33PM +0200, Roberto Galoppini wrote:
> For the future I'd like to workout similar request via Pootle with Apache
> Infra, though. Of course we're open to generate all the PO files needed.

This would be really nice, at least to support translation for all the
languages we are building; now the templates site has more translations
than the extensions one, the later, for example, isn't translated into
Spanish, while the former is.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

Re: Extensions and Templates New Features

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <rg...@geek.net>.
On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 4:57 PM, Jürgen Schmidt
<jo...@googlemail.com>wrote:

> >> Great!

3)  we completely removed the legacy OpenOffice.org authentication and
inserted updated, localizable explanations both on Extensions and Templates.

The last open issues have now been closed.

> >> Is it possible to translate "Timeline"?
> >> In french, you could set "Historique".
> >> Thanks
> >>

> > As a one-shot request it's now fixed, see:
> >
> > http://extensions.openoffice.org/fr
> > http://templates.openoffice.org/fr/most_popular
> >
> > For the future I'd like to workout similar request via Pootle with Apache
> > Infra, though. Of course we're open to generate all the PO files needed.
>
> that is a good idea and we have to analyze how it can work.
>
> But we have to solve the Pootle issue first and have to ensure that the
> Pootle server is running and working as expected. Currently it is not
> working 100% and we have to solve this issue with infra together...

Sure, my intention was only to communicate our will to help in that
direction, we'll move on when appropriate.

Best,

Roberto

--
====

Re: Extensions and Templates New Features

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <rg...@geek.net>.

Posted by FR web forum <oo...@free.fr>.

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <rg...@geek.net>.
On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 3:17 PM, RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2012/8/9 Roberto Galoppini <rg...@geek.net>:
> > Below what's new, I also blogged about that at SourceForge blog.
> >
> > 1) Download statistics are now automatically obtained via the
> > SourceForge API and are more reliable than the old system, in which
> > the counters had been turned off and remained stuck for a long time
> > due to inaccuracies in the counting procedures and incompatibilities
> > with cache system. By the way, the SourceForge API is the same system
> > used for the official Apache OpenOffice counter downloads.
> > Additionally, since we can’t calculate statistics for externally
> > hosted extensions as reliably, their download counters have been
> > removed and they won’t appear in the “Most Popular Extensions”
> > listings. This is also the case for Commercial extensions with no
> > public releases. Note that the default home page of the Extensions
> > site has been set back to "Most Popular Extensions", as we believe
> > that newcomers would probably benefit from having the top extensions
> > in the home page. To provide visitors only meaningful statistics, the
> > daily download numbers have been replaced by a link to a timeline with
> > real-time statistics, charts and analysis.
> >
> > 2) The new antispam system is now online on the Extensions site. We’ve
> > tested it extensively. Since the live site receives up to 50 spam
> > submissions per day it was pretty easy to figure out if it was working
> > properly. It has been in operation for over a week and so far has
> > proved very effective. For end-users this means meaningful comments
> > are more visible and the possibility of adding comments if needed
> > (something we had to temporarily block for some titles because of the
> > spam).
> >
> > 3) We updated the graphic theme of the site and the primary links to
> > reflect the new name and new logo for Apache OpenOffice. In this way
> > visitors can more easily identify these sites as the official
> > repositories of OpenOffice Extensions and Templates, and they can be
> > confident that they are still maintained.
> >
> > Roberto
>

> Great news! The spam disappeared from the site.

It seems to work pretty well, glad you noticed!

> A quick question: which is the best way for an user to report problems
> found on the site?

Actually the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page brings the user to
a page suggesting to contact the Forum, the author or SourceForge community
team respectively for "General questions about this website or
extensions/templates", "A particular extension/template" and "Technical
questions regarding this website".

For some reasons we receive few emails posing questions about the
extensions/templates, I tend to reply if I know the answer, otherwise I
suggest them to use the forum.

Roberto

--
====

Re: Extensions and Templates New Features

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.