Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Christophe JAILLET <ch...@wanadoo.fr> on 2021/04/29 05:54:51 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: util_pcre.c:58:10: fatal error: pcre.h: No such file or directory

Le 29/04/2021 à 01:39, back Button a écrit :
> I believe it is  pcre-8.44.tar.gz found on page
> https://ftp.pcre.org/pub/pcre/
>

> I would  prefer to install it this way
>
> sudo apt install apache2 sudo service apache2 start
> as shown on https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/install.html.
>
> But this way I am not pulling the latest version.

Hi,

PCRE2 is not supported yet by the 2.4.x branch of Apache HTTPD.

There is a port in trunk (mostly done in
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=r1773454 and a few
other commits).

The backport for the 2.4.x branch have been stalled since several years
because of poor performance with Apache. The reported performance issue
is apparently related to the way memory is managed.

With PCRE we can take advantage of the memory pool mechanism used in
Apache, but this is no longer the case with PCRE2. In this case, we need
to leave the memory management to the OS and use many malloc/free.

Any 2nd eye to give some metrics and/or solution is welcomed :)

CJ