Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Jonathan Robie <jo...@redhat.com> on 2009/09/24 15:19:33 UTC

qpid-route syntax

I find the current syntax of qpid-route confusing. "route add", "queue
add",  and "dynamic add" all add routes,  just different kinds of
routes.  Also, the order of arguments for queue add is a bit muddled.

I would like to improve the syntax of the following commands:

qpid-route [OPTIONS] queue add   <dest-broker> <src-broker> <exchange>
<queue>
qpid-route [OPTIONS] queue del   <dest-broker> <src-broker> <exchange>
<queue>

qpid-route [OPTIONS] route add   <dest-broker> <src-broker> <exchange>
<routing-key> [tag] [exclude-list]
qpid-route [OPTIONS] route del   <dest-broker> <src-broker> <exchange>
<routing-key>

qpid-route [OPTIONS] dynamic add <dest-broker> <src-broker> <exchange>
[tag] [exclude-list]
qpid-route [OPTIONS] dynamic del <dest-broker> <src-broker> <exchange>

Here's a more verbose syntax that I find  clearer and more explicit:

qpid-route [OPTIONS] add queue route <dest-broker> <dest-exchange>
<src-broker> <src-queue>
qpid-route [OPTIONS] del queue route <dest-broker> <dest-exchange>
<src-broker> <src-queue>

qpid-route [OPTIONS] add exchange route <dest-broker> <src-broker>
<exchange> <routing-key>
qpid-route [OPTIONS] del exchange route <dest-broker> <src-broker>
<exchange> <routing-key>

qpid-route [OPTIONS] add dynamic exchange route <dest-broker>
<src-broker> <exchange>
qpid-route [OPTIONS] del dynamic exchange route <dest-broker>
<src-broker> <exchange>

Jonathan

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org