Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Bradley Wagner <br...@hannonhill.com> on 2006/11/16 05:19:31 UTC

per directory access control when user in two groups

Currently, I have setup a group in the access control file of svn
admins:

svn_admins = me, bob, etc.

and a group of project developers:

dev = me, dev1, dev2, etc.

I ("me") am in both groups. I have given svn_admins "rw" permissions
to the root of the repository and the dev "r" permissions. My
understanding is that because "rw" is higher than "r", that I will
get "rw" because I'm in both svn_admins and dev. However, if I were
to limit dev's acceess later to no visibility on a certain subdirectory:

[/proj1/subdir]
@dev =

then I would lose the ability to see the contents of this directory
too because this is explicit and therefore overrides my "rw" at the
root. Therefore, I could do one of two things... take myself out of
the "dev" group or explicitly allow "rw" to that subdir for the
svn_admins again.

The latter seems a little repetitive. Is the best practice here to
just not have users that appear in more than group? Am I
understanding this correctly as to what happens a user is given two
different permissions to the same directory?

Thanks,
Bradley