Posted to user@jspwiki.apache.org by Bob Paige <bo...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/05 16:28:35 UTC

accepting forms input in a wiki page

Can someone point me to how I could implement the following (and how
reasonable it might be):

I frequently get requests from our support people to look up something in
our transaction database. It is a relatively simple query for me, but I have
to use a SQL client to get the information. They ask me to do it because
they either don't know how or don't have access to the database and the
tools.

Is there some way I could build a wiki page with a couple data entry fields
that, when submitted, performs the required database query(s) and outputs
some formatted response? I don't need to update the page content at all; I'm
really just using it as a simple forms interface to a database.

The (typical) example I am looking at right now is like this:

Inputs:
* client ID
* unit ID

Outputs:
* batch in which it was processed
* date it was processed
* status (success/fail/error message)

There are more complicated examples, but this is a good start.

Is this doable with existing plugins (excellent!) or do I just need to write
a plugin (certainly doable; I've written several already).

--
Bobman

RE: accepting forms input in a wiki page

Posted by Lo...@log-net.com.
Good counterpoint.  :)

Posted by "Volkar, John M." <JV...@medrad.com>.
 >Doesn't that depend on where you put the FormOutput tag?
Yup.  I guess I just got used to having the output above the form so on
page reload after a submit we don't have to scroll down past lengthy
forms to see the results.

John

> But short answer:  The output is displayed on the same page as the
> form, usually (always?) before the form elements themselves.

Doesn't that depend on where you put the FormOutput tag?  I usually put
it after the form so the user can re-submit without having to page down
past the output.

-Lou

"Volkar, John M." <JV...@medrad.com> wrote on 02/06/2009 07:53:51 AM:

> Bob,
>
> Just implement it using the FormDebugHandler.  Show & tell is easiest.

> But short answer:  The output is displayed on the same page as the
> form, usually (always?) before the form elements themselves.
>

> Regards,
> John Volkar
>
> See http://www.jspwiki.org/wiki/FormDebugHandler

Your process is correct.  The output is displayed however you want.  One
of my forms goes to the DB and gets work items.  It then renders the
html-like tables below the form within the wiki.  It also creates wiki
links on the individual work item numbers so that when they are clicked,
it seamlessly invokes another form/plugin and goes back to the DB to get
more details.  All in all, you can use wiki forms and custom plugins to do
some pretty advanced stuff with you DB data.  I can send you screenshots
off-list if you need more info for your manager.

-Lou

Posted by Bob Paige <bo...@gmail.com>.
Lou,