Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org> on 2005/12/01 13:26:17 UTC

Whiteboard usage - rename it to incubator

El jue, 01-12-2005 a las 12:13 +0000, Ross Gardler escribió:
> By definition whiteboard stuff is not supported by the Forrest
> community, so people use it at their own risk. If something in
> whiteboard gets enough community support then it will migrate into
> trunk. That move would be where we take a vote.

The migration is not only community but as well code related.

IMO we really should consider renaming whiteboard to incubator, because
it is the place to develop not only new code but as well a community
around it.  Should I call a vote?

WDYT?

salu2
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

Re: Whiteboard usage - rename it to incubator

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:

> So lets be absolutely sure that this is what we want to
> do first. Need to find the last discussion. I am sure that
> we talked about the wider topic and there were agreements on
> various aspects of how to do our development. Changing the
> name was probably just one component of that.
>
> Our trouble is that we don't document this stuff in the project
> Guidelines doc (even links to discussion would be a start).

I made a start and collected some of the threads:
http://forrest.apache.org/guidelines.html#develop

-David

Re: Whiteboard usage - rename it to incubator

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> David Crossley escribi??:
> > Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > > Ross Gardler escribi??:
> > >
> > > The migration is not only community but as well code related.
> > >
> > > IMO we really should consider renaming whiteboard to incubator, because
> > > it is the place to develop not only new code but as well a community
> > > around it.  Should I call a vote?
> > >
> > > WDYT?
> >
> > Just discussing the proposal will be sufficient.
> >
> > Why does it need a name change?
>
> Because the name is not reflecting what is does. A whiteboard means in
> my dictionary something completely different then the function of the
> whiteboard in forrest. IMO the name is *too* misleading to keep it. Like
> I wrote some time ago, e.g. in the incubator the whiteboard is a link to
> the wiki (which makes sense).

The "whiteboard" has changed over time. It was intended
as a place to just experiment. However we have started
doing development there rather than using branches.

So we have changed the nature of the whiteboard.

> >  We could just add
> > to the Guidelines document to explain what we mean
> > by "whiteboard" and what are the conditions for
> > moving stuff into trunk.
>
> Hmm, we should do this anyway, even if we change the name. My point is
> that the name is not appropriate for reflecting the usages.

Also, the job cannot be taken lightly. There is a stack
of configuration files, build files, plugin deployment process,
and documentation to change.

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El vie, 02-12-2005 a las 08:22 +1100, David Crossley escribió:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > Ross Gardler escribi??:
> > > By definition whiteboard stuff is not supported by the Forrest
> > > community, so people use it at their own risk. If something in
> > > whiteboard gets enough community support then it will migrate into
> > > trunk. That move would be where we take a vote.
> >
> > The migration is not only community but as well code related.
> >
> > IMO we really should consider renaming whiteboard to incubator, because
> > it is the place to develop not only new code but as well a community
> > around it.  Should I call a vote?
> >
> > WDYT?
>
> Just discussing the proposal will be sufficient.
>
> Why does it need a name change?

Because the name is not reflecting what is does. A whiteboard means in
my dictionary something completely different then the function of the
whiteboard in forrest. IMO the name is *too* misleading to keep it. Like
I wrote some time ago, e.g. in the incubator the whiteboard is a link to
the wiki (which makes sense).

>  We could just add
> to the Guidelines document to explain what we mean
> by "whiteboard" and what are the conditions for
> moving stuff into trunk.

Hmm, we should do this anyway, even if we change the name. My point is
that the name is not appropriate for reflecting the usages.

> -David

salu2

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> Ross Gardler escribi??:
> > By definition whiteboard stuff is not supported by the Forrest
> > community, so people use it at their own risk. If something in
> > whiteboard gets enough community support then it will migrate into
> > trunk. That move would be where we take a vote.
>
> The migration is not only community but as well code related.
>
> IMO we really should consider renaming whiteboard to incubator, because
> it is the place to develop not only new code but as well a community
> around it.  Should I call a vote?
>
> WDYT?

Just discussing the proposal will be sufficient.

Why does it need a name change? We could just add