Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by chris snow <ch...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/18 11:52:46 UTC

globally enable-audit-log

Is it possible to globally enable-audit-log on all entities/all fields?

Many thanks,

Chris

Re: globally enable-audit-log

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.
You could certainly change the code to treat all fields as audited, and the easiest place is in the parser code. In fact, you may be able to change the entitymodel.xsd file to change the default from false to true.

Of course, I do NOT recommend doing this in a production environment until you know what you're getting into. I've certainly worked with people who said they wanted to audit log everything, but they really hadn't thought it through. What happens is far more system problems, load on the system, enormous amounts of data, and about 99% of the fields (not just the data which can be useful for auditing when you don't know what the threat is, but actual fields) with audit data are NEVER used or looked at, and by that I mean that no report or anything is ever even written to do anything with it, and no one ever looks at the data (except maybe to check that it is being recorded).

Sometimes people argue that you need all of this historical data because you don't know where a threat might come in and you need to be able to audit everything. That's a bit silly because most information just isn't that important. I suppose in certain industries keeping a good audit log for everything might be an issue, but still probably not everything.

Anyway, give it a try and run it in a simulated production environment (ie with load tests and such) and you'll see.

-David

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Chris,

AFAIK no http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?revision=652226&view=revision
Should be easy to add (serch/replace) text for all fields though.
If you do so, could you please report your experience relatively to performance?

Thanks

Jacques

From: "Christopher Snow" <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>

Posted by Christopher Snow <sn...@snowconsulting.co.uk>.