Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Salman Ansari <sa...@gmail.com> on 2015/12/28 19:48:40 UTC

Changing Solr Schema with Data

Hi,

I am facing an issue where I need to change Solr schema but I have crucial
data that I don't want to delete. Is there a way where I can change the
schema of the index while keeping the data intact?

Regards,
Salman

Re: Changing Solr Schema with Data

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@gmail.com>.
All crucial data that you don't want to delete should be stored in a
non-Solr backing store, either flat files (e.g., CSV or Solr XML), an
RDBMS, or a NoSQL database. You should always be in a position to either
fully reindex or fully discard your Solr data. Solr is not a system of
record database. Was someone telling you something different?

-- Jack Krupansky

Posted by Salman Ansari <sa...@gmail.com>.
Thanks.

Salman

Posted by Binoy Dalal <bi...@gmail.com>.
What shalin says is solid and will work with solr 5.x as well as 3.x
You could do a little poc if you want to be absolutely certain. Shouldn't
take you very long.
Your only concern will be that your old docs won't be matched against
queries matched against the newly added fields.

On Tue, 29 Dec 2015, 23:38 Salman Ansari <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks guys for your responses.
>
> @Shalin: Do you have a documentation that explains this? Moreover, is it
> only for Solr 5+ or is it still applicable to Solr 3+? I am asking this as
> I am working in a team and in some of our projects we are using old Solr
> versions and I need to convince the guys that this is possible in the old
> Solr as well.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Regards,
> Salman
>

> On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 9:44 AM, Shalin Shekhar Mangar <
> shalinmangar@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Adding new fields is not a problem. You can continue to use your
> > existing index with the new schema.
> >
> > On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 1:58 AM, Salman Ansari <sa...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > You can say that we are not removing any fields (so the old data should
> > not
> > > get affected), however, we need to add new fields (which new data will
> > > have). Does that answer your question?
> > >

> > > Regards,
> > > Salman
> > >
> > > On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 9:58 PM, Alexandre Rafalovitch <
> > arafalov@gmail.com>

> > the

> > --
> > Regards,
> > Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Binoy Dalal

Re: Changing Solr Schema with Data

Posted by Salman Ansari <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
Adding new fields is not a problem. You can continue to use your
existing index with the new schema.

On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 1:58 AM, Salman Ansari <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You can say that we are not removing any fields (so the old data should not
> get affected), however, we need to add new fields (which new data will
> have). Does that answer your question?
>

> Regards,
> Salman
>
> On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 9:58 PM, Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Is the schema change affects the data you want to keep?
>> ----
>> Newsletter and resources for Solr beginners and intermediates:
>> http://www.solr-start.com/
>>

>> On 29 December 2015 at 01:48, Salman Ansari <sa...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I am facing an issue where I need to change Solr schema but I have
>> crucial
>> > data that I don't want to delete. Is there a way where I can change the
>> > schema of the index while keeping the data intact?
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Salman

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: Changing Solr Schema with Data