Posted to users@flex.apache.org by Blake McBride <bl...@gmail.com> on 2019/06/22 15:25:25 UTC

Flash app -> AIR

Greetings,

I have a large Flex(3.5)/Flash app that (obviously) runs under a browser.
Since the Flash player is going away, I am wondering if I should consider
AIR.  What are my other options?  What's easiest?

Thanks.

Blake McBride

Re: Flash app -> AIR

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Blake,

Well AIR would be the easiest cause in best case you won't change single
line in your core app.

Another option is Apache Royale, but if you are saying about fast option
it's probably don't fit to that.

Thanks,
Piotr

Re: Flash app -> AIR

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.

On 6/23/19, 11:51 AM, "Scott Matheson" <sc...@matheson.it> wrote:

    Alex
           I fully understand and wish you all the best, but as a small developer i need to look at what is best for my development, i will keep a eye on Royal

For sure, you have to do what's best for you.  Another good thing about Apache projects is that you can be one of the 3 PMC members who keeps Royale or Flex going.  The members of an Apache project are all volunteers from Apache's perspective.  I may be an employee of Adobe, but neither I nor any other member of Royale or Flex had to be "hired" by Apache.  Instead, you or Blake or anyone can contribute patches in your spare time, earn committer rights, learn how to cut and review releases and earn PMC membership.  Then you have permanent stake in the project.  All you need to cut a future release is two others to help you review it.  You can commit bug fixes or new features as long as they don't conflict with someone else's commits.  There is no product manager or business people deciding what goes in the next release or when the next release is.  Try getting a bug fix accepted and released by some other large-ish non-Apache projects.  It can be a challenge.

Sometimes, the best way to control the future is to contribute to it.

My 2 cents,
-Alex

Re: Flash app -> AIR

Posted by Scott Matheson <sc...@matheson.it>.
Alex

Re: Flash app -> AIR

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.

Re: Flash app -> AIR

Posted by Scott <sc...@matheson.it>.

Re: Flash app -> AIR

Posted by Piotr Zarzycki <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Scott,

Re: Flash app -> AIR

Posted by Scott Matheson <sc...@matheson.it>.
Olaf
       I Totally agree, back in 2009 I spend 1 year looking a frameworks, going round and round reading all the stuff trying to balance one evangelist vs another evangelist, then o read something that said there is no answer pick want  works for you, in my case I needed rich UX, at the time that meant Flex and off I went

When I say " evangelist,”  these guys create a lot of noise and you need to understand how the get “paid” / ‘rewarded” cash clicks or  ego etc. you have to try and filter all this out and work out what's best for you or pick something that you think will be with us for a long time

Angular was a the big hope, Goggle is a big player
Then React, well face book is a big player
Now well maybe Vue.js

I long for the day of Flash / Flex  rules the world

PS keeps us all in a job :)

Re: Flash app -> AIR

Posted by Olaf Krueger <ma...@olafkrueger.net>.
Hi,

Re: Flash app -> AIR

Posted by Scott <sc...@matheson.it>.
Yes with 450 screen that’s a big job, air or the local wed browse is the simple approach

We went with royal, the design approach is the same as flex, we started by creating 1 to 1 components, the new compounded are JS CSS SVGS in our case about 30 components

The royal component architecture is identical  to flex so your front end logic does not need to change, we had a simple, MVC design

As for AS3 we used a converter to TrueType, the code logic is the same, we used a tool and a bit manual work, we took the operation to add testing

We do have a simpler application, 30 screens that generated about 1000 screens
, we planned on 6 man months work, we are 3 into the project and on track, we will end up with a stand application, in the sweet spot of the industry, royal will never be in the sweet spot for the industry

It is a big hit on cost and time, but we have a future, this app has been running is some form or other for 20 plus years, this is our 3rd rewrite we started with a desk top products toolbook 1995, which was good for 15 years, then we moved to flex 2010, and html5 from 2200

Happy to provide detailed information if you need

Scott

Sent from my iPad

Re: Flash app -> AIR

Posted by Blake McBride <bl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Flash app -> AIR

Posted by Scott <sc...@matheson.it>.

Re: Flash app -> AIR

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi,

for me the best options today are:

* AIR: If you don't need the browser, you can still have more years to
avoid a more time consuming migration. Harman seems taking the torch to
manage Adobe AIR in a good way. Maybe to early to say anything now, but AIR
seems in good hands.

* Apache Royale: We already migrated a big Flex application to Apache
Royale and it took us considerable less time than go to any other tech out
there. We reused around 70-80% of flex code and rewrite UI with Jewel in
part since we need a more modern and mobile UI. That's a huge fact.

In the other hand Apache Royale is each day/week/month better thanks to
people contributing and continue refining the solution so bugs are
continuely pursued and solved and we are getting more and more real use
cases working good. Think in the work of the past few weeks, I can remember
things like, implementing as3 Vector, improving release process to make it
super-easy, Jewel Modules, How to use external JS libraries easily (blog
post), working with ElectronJS (blog post), many improvments over compiler
and framework code to solve bugs in language constructions, implementation
of new things like abstract class and private constructors, .... just to
mention what I remember right now...amazing, right? Think what more things
we'll get over the next months...

Other considerations can be respected, but not taken like something that
will eventually occur. Fear is normal. Fear in Royale's future is all
depending only on us (no more Adobe, Googleo or Facebook) and I think we
have a very focused team at Apache Royale with very valuable people: Alex
Harui, Josh Tynjala, Piotr, Harbs, Yshay, Olaf, Andrew, Greg Dove and many
more...Many people that believes in the project. We don't need Apache
Royale to be as successful as Angular or React. Think on haXe, is not as
popular, but maybe one of the best cross platform techs out there and with
a healthy community. One key to succeed is don't listen to naysayers, and
just go our way. Naysayers will be always there, telling you "this is not
possible". Ok, in my experience, all things I tried many things that seems
impossible and some succeed. Apache Royale is now working nowadays despite
those naysayers.

Apache Royale is nowadays a reality, ready to use and you just need to
believe in it and most important, think that you need to get involved in
the project as other part of the project to master and control it. Most of
the people that fails with a technology is because are thinking in the old
way where all things should come from a company like Adobe. This is not
valid anymore, and you need to be more active in mailing list and
participate, propose, learn, contribute and pursue what you need to make it
done and available to the rest of the community. People waiting for others
to make the job, will find many problems in the way and probably will not
get success with Royale until more time pass and it becomes lots of
maturity.

HTH

Carlos

--