Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org> on 2014/08/04 16:07:50 UTC

[VOTE] Apache Drill 0.4.0-incubating release

We've held a vote on drill-dev to release the 0.4.0-incubating release of
Apache Drill.

The vote thread can be found here:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-drill-dev/201407.mbox/%3CCAKa9qD%3DKQURAMcS3RQJbUABSU4%3DDEGSewK2s4MAAidu4c%3DOjBg%40mail.gmail.com%3E

The vote passed with:
+6 binding
+7 non-binding

A summary email can be found here:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-drill-dev/201408.mbox/%3CCAKa9qDnyKYS%3D3qbv3%3DfUrcuuNvBKRcvPt4AgWojLhy4tr2ZYLA%40mail.gmail.com%3E

You can find the artifacts for the release at this location:
http://people.apache.org/~jacques/apache-drill-0.4.0.rc1/

Please vote on this release.

Thanks,
Jacques

Re: [VOTE] Apache Drill 0.4.0-incubating release

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 8 August 2014 18:12, Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> wrote:
> Hi Ted,
>
> On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 9:44 AM, Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Also, I think that it is important that *all* dependency licenses be
>> documented in the source release.  Speaking as a consumer, I need to know
>> what dependencies will come in when I compile the code.  Marking the
>> dependencies as source inclusions or as compile time or as test
>> dependencies or as package dependencies is a fine thing to do, but my
>> strong feeling is that the license summary should be identical in the
>> source distribution as with the binary artifacts.
>
> That seems counter to the principle of the licensing documentation for
> a package reflecting the bundled bits and only the bundled bits,
> discussed many times on many lists.

+1

> The licensing documentation for the canonical source release should
> reflect the exact content of the canonical source release.  The
> licensing documentation for any derived, downstream packages,
> including "convenience binaries" which get distributed on our mirrors,
> should reflect their own exact content. If derived packages bundle
> additional dependencies, it is likely that the licensing documentation
> will need to be different from that of the canonical source release.

+1

> It is not necessary to including information about non-bundled
> dependencies in the licensing documentation of our canonical source
> releases, because a consumer building a composite product can examine
> the licensing of each package in turn as it gets added. We have to
> ensure that Apache projects don't have any mandatory dependencies with
> problematic licenses, but it's not necessary or desirable to document
> the complete dependency tree including non-bundled dependencies.  What
> if a requirement could be satisfied by multiple options with different
> licenses?  It would not be good to try to enumerate all the possible
> configurations in our licensing documentation. The only sane option is
> to document only what is bundled.

+1 to ensuring that NOTICE and LICENSE only relate to the bundle in
which they are included.

However, I don't see why projects should not provide a full list of
dependencies somewhere else.
For example in a README or BUILDING file.
Maven site builds can include dependency info extracted from the pom.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
Hi Ted,

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Justin, would you be willing to review these changes
> once we get them up so that we can make sure we're not making other foolish
> mistakes?

Sure just ping me and I'll take a look - it's reasonably straight forward if you follow this [1]

Justin

1.http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html

Re: [VOTE] Apache Drill 0.4.0-incubating release

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org>.
Hey guys,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
Ah, I saw disclaimer in the website [1] which I thought enough for incubator.
But checking the branding guide [2] seems like incubator need to
include DISCLAIMER file along with NOTICE and LICENSE files, so this
could be blocker?
I think that is the one that could be blocker, but other probably
could be deferred to next release given Drill open tickets for them?

Thanks for detail review Justin, need to update my check tool.

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/drill/
[2] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/branding.html

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
Signatures files looks good
LICENSE looks good
NOTICE file needs to update year to 2014 => not a blocker but please
open ticket to track it
Version looks good
No 3rd party exec files

+1

- Henry

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com>.
+1 binding.

In the future, I would like to see you guys move to a synchronized release
cycle and only execute releases against their final versions and not
snapshots.  Typically, you need to mess with Maven a lot to make this kind
of release even work.

John

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Hmm....

That really is quite different.  To add to the mix, the two projects in
question are in the process of entering the Apache incubator.  In Optiq's
case, at least, that means that they have made what they have stated to be
their last non-Apache release, but are not yet in a position to make an
Apache release yet.  That makes a temporary fork whose temporary nature is
somewhat non-standardly indicated by the SNAPSHOT enclitic much more
plausible.

+1 from me, then.

Thanks for the clarification.

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org>.