Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Christian Schaffner <ch...@users.sourceforge.net> on 2006/10/11 19:19:30 UTC

Re: test suite failures with 1.4.0

On 10.09.2006, at 05:55, Peter Samuelson wrote:

> Thanks for the quick reply!
>
> [Lieven Govaerts]

<snip>

>>> FAIL:  switch_tests.py 17: refresh the WC file system read-only
>>> attribute
>> ---
>> EXCEPTION: Failure: 'svn-test-work/working_copies/switch_tests-17/
>> A/mu'
>> expected to be read-only after having had its svn:needs-lock
>> property set
>> ---
>> The test uses 'os.access(mu_path, os.W_OK)' to see if it can write
>> that file, which it shouldn't be able to. This code is unchanged
>> since svn 1.3. I've only seen this fail when running the tests as
>> root.
>
> Thanks, this's the hint I needed.  For historical and arcane technical
> reasons, our build process runs the testsuite as root on exactly those
> three architectures.
>
> I wonder why it never failed in 1.3 and before.  Perhaps this is a new
> test?  In any case, I'll see if it is possible to rearrange our test
> invocation to run during the non-root phase of the build.  I don't see
> any current reason not to do this, so I think it is merely historical.

I am the package maintainer of svn for Fink on Mac OS X. I just had
exactly the same error on Mac OS X 10.3 with svn 1.4.0. It definitely
did not happen with svn 1.3. Building as 'nobody' solved that issue.

It would be intereting to see what was changed for that test between
1.3 and 1.4, or, what has changed in the test setup.

Christian.

Re: test suite failures with 1.4.0

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Christian Schaffner wrote:

> On 10.09.2006, at 05:55, Peter Samuelson wrote:
>

>> Thanks for the quick reply!
>>
>> [Lieven Govaerts]
>
> <snip>

>>> ---
>>> EXCEPTION: Failure: 'svn-test-work/working_copies/switch_tests-17/A/mu'
>>> expected to be read-only after having had its svn:needs-lock property
>>> set
>>> ---
>>> The test uses 'os.access(mu_path, os.W_OK)' to see if it can write
>>> that file, which it shouldn't be able to. This code is unchanged
>>> since svn 1.3. I've only seen this fail when running the tests as
>>> root.
>>
>> Thanks, this's the hint I needed.  For historical and arcane technical
>> reasons, our build process runs the testsuite as root on exactly those
>> three architectures.
>>
>> I wonder why it never failed in 1.3 and before.  Perhaps this is a new
>> test?  In any case, I'll see if it is possible to rearrange our test
>> invocation to run during the non-root phase of the build.  I don't see
>> any current reason not to do this, so I think it is merely historical.
>
> I am the package maintainer of svn for Fink on Mac OS X. I just had
> exactly the same error on Mac OS X 10.3 with svn 1.4.0. It definitely
> did not happen with svn 1.3. Building as 'nobody' solved that issue.
>
> It would be intereting to see what was changed for that test between 1.3
> and 1.4, or, what has changed in the test setup.

I see the same thing with MacPorts which builds svn as root.

If you try to run in Python as root the

os.access(mu_path, os.W_OK)

method on some path that has no write privileges, then it'll still return true.

I think a better test would be to test is os.access returns false, but if it
doesn't, check if the mode on the file did change, or run the os.access as a
non-root user.

$ touch abc
$ chmod 222 abc
$ python -c 'import os; print os.access("abc", os.W_OK)'
True
$ chmod 000 abc
$ python -c 'import os; print os.access("abc", os.W_OK)'
False
$ sudo python -c 'import os; print os.access("abc", os.W_OK)'
True

Regards,
Blair

--