Posted to watchdog-dev@jakarta.apache.org by "Rousseau, John" <JR...@silverstream.com> on 2000/07/13 14:18:32 UTC

web.xml

Hi!

I'm new to Watchdog, but I wanted to use the tests to validate our
servlet 2.2 implementation at SilverStream. I couldn't find an
archive of this list, and I hope this hasn't been asked before.

I was looking at the web.xml deployment descriptor from
servlet-tests.war and noticed that all of the elements were written
like this:

    <param-name>
            OS
    </param-name>

In XML, the value of param-name is then "\n\t\t\tOS\n" instead of
"OS". We could easily chop each string we get out of the deployment
descriptor, but this would prevent us from encoding a real tab or
space in the future.

According to XML, if the intended value is "OS", the element should
be written as:

    <param-name>OS</param-name>

Is this an oversight, or am I missing something?

Thanks!
-John

John Rousseau                               jrr@silverstream.com
SilverStream Software                     Phone: +1 978 262 3564
2 Federal Street                            Fax: +1 978 262 3499
Billerica, MA 01821                  http://www.silverstream.com

Re: web.xml

Posted by Victor Duarte <vd...@blueisle.com>.
Thanks Rob.

I'll check out the tomcat site.

Regards,

Victor

Posted by James Duncan Davidson <ja...@eng.sun.com>.
on 7/13/00 10:05 AM, mazur at robertm@sherwoodforestfarms.com wrote:

> I'm not sure how to get off the list (I am a recipient like you), but
> repeatedly emailing everyone on the list probably will not do it.
>
> You mind want to check out the web site for Tomcat to get details.

All Apache Jakarta mailing lists follow the same pattern:

Re: web.xml

Posted by mazur <ro...@sherwoodforestfarms.com>.

Re: web.xml

Posted by Victor Duarte <vd...@blueisle.com>.
Hey guys,

Re: web.xml

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Hi John,

"Rousseau, John" wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm new to Watchdog, but I wanted to use the tests to validate our
> servlet 2.2 implementation at SilverStream. I couldn't find an
> archive of this list, and I hope this hasn't been asked before.

The welcome message you received when you subscribed has some available
commands for retrieving older messages and message indexes -- send an
empty mail to "watchdog-dev-info@jakarta.apache.org" to get a new copy.

But you haven't really missed much -- it's been very quiet :-).

> I was looking at the web.xml deployment descriptor from
> servlet-tests.war and noticed that all of the elements were written
> like this:
>
>     <param-name>
>             OS
>     </param-name>
>
> In XML, the value of param-name is then "\n\t\t\tOS\n" instead of
> "OS". We could easily chop each string we get out of the deployment
> descriptor, but this would prevent us from encoding a real tab or
> space in the future.
>
> According to XML, if the intended value is "OS", the element should
> be written as:
>
>     <param-name>OS</param-name>
>
> Is this an oversight, or am I missing something?

At least for Tomcat (and I believe for some of the other containers) we
trim leading and trailing whitespace from values retrieved from web.xml
before interpreting them, so that either way of writing the parameter
you used above would come up with the same result.

Looking at the spec, I don't see that behavior defined ... this is
probably worth a clarification question to the spec lead for the servlet
spec <Da...@eng.sun.com>.  This is something that should
definitely be defined one way or the other, and the timing is great to
make sure that whatever the answer is gets in to the upcoming servlet
2.3 spec as well.

I'll forward the question to Danny and ask him to reply to both of us.

> Thanks!
> -John

Craig McClanahan