Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org> on 2008/10/01 00:38:39 UTC

Re: draft 2.4 announcement

: The next release will be 2.9.  After that will be 3.0, which will
: remove all deprecated APIs from 2.9 and will be the first release of
: Lucene to require JRE 1.5.  The timing on these two releases is not
: yet known.

I would move that para to the end, possibly starting with "SPECIAL NOTE:"
... while it's important to raise awareness about the upcoming game
plan, we want to lead with info about what's changed in 2.4 -- you don't
want people who are just skimming to get confused.

-Hoss

Re: draft 2.4 announcement

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
OK I did that.  Here's the current draft:

Release 2.4.0 of Lucene is now available!

With 2.4 we have relaxed the backwards compatibility policy of the
Fieldable interface: we now allow changes on a case by case basis.
This means any custom classes that implement Fieldable will need to be
updated.  This was done to accommodate the new omitTf() method (to do
pure boolean searching).

Many new features, fixes and optimizations have happened since 2.3,
including:

   * New InstantiatedIndex (contrib/instantiated): RAM-based index that
     enables much faster searching than RAMDirectory.

   * New IndexWriter constructors now default autoCommit to false.

   * New commit() method in IndexWriter lets you control when changes
     are made visible & permanent in the index.

   * A machine or OS crash, or power loss, while IndexWriter is writing
     to an index will no longer corrupt the index.

   * TimeLimitedCollector adds timeout to searches

   * Delete documents by Query in IndexWriter

   * Pure boolean indexing (no frequency, positions nor payloads are
     indexed) using Field.setOmitTf()

   * A new Directory implementation, NIOFSDirectory, using java.nio's
     APIs to allow multiple threads to read from the same open file
     without locking.

   * IndexWriter.expungeDeletes() reclaims disk space from deleted
     documents by merging away segments that have deletions.

   * All filters now return a DocIdSet instead of java.util.BitSet,
     making filters more efficient and flexible.

   * Searching with a Filter is more efficient: now the filter is
     applied to a document before scoring is done.

   * IndexReader can be opened with new readOnly=true mode, which gives
     better performance in a multi-threaded environment.

The detailed changes are here:

   <URL to 2.4 Changes.html>

Lucene 2.4 includes index format changes that are not readable by older
versions of Lucene.  Lucene 2.4 can both read and update older Lucene
indexes.  Adding to an index with an older format will cause it to be
converted to the newer format.

Binary and source distributions are available at
http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/lucene/java/

Lucene artifacts are also available in the Maven2 repository at
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/lucene/

NEXT RELEASE

The next release will be 2.9.  After that will be 3.0, which will
remove all deprecated APIs from 2.9 and will be the first release of
Lucene to require JRE 1.5.  The timing on these two releases is not
yet known.

Mike

Re: draft 2.4 announcement

Posted by Nadav Har'El <ny...@math.technion.ac.il>.