Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Chris Lee <ch...@centurycity.com.hk> on 2020/04/14 08:59:39 UTC

Multiple WAN Network Interface

HI All,

It is possible to setup multiple Network WAN interface on Fedora Linux box, so it can increase the total WAN bandwidth and HA?

WAN 1 \
WAN 2 --- Guacamole Server - LAN
WAN 3 /

Suppose each WAN link have 10Gb bandwidth, Then I get different URL for different department users:

Account: https://WAN01.example.com:8443/guacamole/
Sales:      https://WAN02.example.com:8443/guacamole/
IT:            https://WAN03.exmaple.com:8443:guacamole/
In theory , I have 30Gb WAN bandwidth?

In case one of WAN Link is dead, I just update the DNS records to redirect the traffic.

Any comments?

Regards,
Chris

This message and its attachment (if any) are strictly confidential and sent to the designated recipient(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by e-mail and delete this message and its attachment (if any) from your computer system immediately . Century City International Holdings Limited, Paliburg Holdings Limited, Regal Hotels International Holdings Limited, its respective related subsidiaries, associated companies and affiliates do not guarantee this message and its attachment (if any) are free of computer virus and would not accept any liability whatsoever arising from Internet transmission.

Re: Multiple WAN Network Interface

Posted by Sven Specker <sp...@rz.uni-frankfurt.de>.
On 2020-04-14 10:59, Chris Lee wrote:
> HI All,

Hi!

> It is possible to setup multiple Network WAN interface on Fedora Linux box, so it can increase the total WAN bandwidth and HA?
>
> WAN 1 \
> WAN 2 --- Guacamole Server - LAN
> WAN 3 /
>
> Suppose each WAN link have 10Gb bandwidth, Then I get different URL for different department users:
>
> Account: https://WAN01.example.com:8443/guacamole/
> Sales:      https://WAN02.example.com:8443/guacamole/
> IT:            https://WAN03.exmaple.com:8443:guacamole/
> In theory , I have 30Gb WAN bandwidth?
>
> In case one of WAN Link is dead, I just update the DNS records to redirect the traffic.

Uh. No. Don't do that. DNS has an up to 24h "lag" since Windows tends to
cache IPs and you do not want to teach your users to flush that. :)

Furthermore I have not yet understood how you want to set that up? And why?

You can do a link aggregation group to pseudo-"bundle" bandwith...but
discussing that is not for this list.

If you want to do HA, why not

WAN 1-3 -> haproxy -> department-specific guacamole servers with load
balkancing groups and seperate DBs (if needed) -> as many
guacd-instances as you like/need for balancing.

You can "filter" the target guacamole by url: example.com/accounting
goes to guacamole 1, /sales to 2 and so forth...

You set up the ha-proxy with a keepalived and example.com will be a
floating IP shared between the proxies.

Not quite sure what the goal of your setup is..:) Separation by
bandwidth is hard to do w/o network equipment, separation by url easy.

HA with haproxy and keepalived is easy, via DNS a nightmare.

Best regards,

Sven Specker
*** Sven Specker -- University of Frankfurt Computing Center   ***
*********** UNIX System Administration (Auth/IDM) ****************
***** specker@rz.uni-frankfurt.de [Phone (+49)-69-798-15188] *****
		Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitaet
  		   - Hochschulrechenzentrum -
  	         Theodor W. Adorno-Platz 1 (PA-1P16)

  		   D-60323 Frankfurt/Main
______________ TeX-users do it in {groups}________________________

Re: Multiple WAN Network Interface

Posted by Mickaël Bucas <mb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris

I believe you are looking for some kind of load balancing based on
DNS, and doing it manually.
But it can be automated !

Many big sites have multiple WAN addresses that point to the same resource.
For example from my home connection:
dig yahoo.com +short
72.30.35.9
98.138.219.231
98.138.219.232
98.137.246.7
98.137.246.8
72.30.35.10

I don't know how to setup this kind of group and make it respond in a
balanced bandwidth usage, but I'm sure it's possible with a single DNS
name for the whole company, and no manual intervention if a WAN link
gets down.

Hope you will find more about DNS load balancing with our common
friend Google...

Best regards

Mickaël Bucas

AW: Multiple WAN Network Interface

Posted by Joachim Lindenberg <jo...@lindenberg.one>.
Hi Chris,

Imho this is very likely a dead end as routing of inbound and outbound
packets is entirely independent with internet protocol. You are suggesting
different end points for inbound traffic "only", but likely bandwidth is
more relevant with outbound Guacamole traffic. If you can separate by
network regions (rather than job roles) and get this into your routing
tables, then you may succeed.

Cheers, Joachim

It is possible to setup multiple Network WAN interface on Fedora Linux box,
so it can increase the total WAN bandwidth and HA?

WAN 1 \

WAN 2 --- Guacamole Server - LAN

WAN 3 /

Suppose each WAN link have 10Gb bandwidth, Then I get different URL for
different department users:

Account: https://WAN <https://WAN01.example.com:8443/guacamole/>
01.example.com:8443/guacamole/

Sales:      https://WAN <https://WAN02.example.com:8443/guacamole/>
02.example.com:8443/guacamole/

IT:            https://WAN <https://WAN03.exmaple.com:8443:guacamole/>

Posted by Chris Lee <ch...@centurycity.com.hk>.
Hi,

I found the solution by install shorewall package on my Fedora box :

https://shorewall.org/MultiISP.html

I testing for few hours, seems so far so good.

[cid:image001.png@01D613DE.614297F0]

Hope this help for others.

Regards,

Chris

Posted by Chris Lee <ch...@centurycity.com.hk>.
Hi sciUser,

Based on you example, it only have one uplink NIC 0? May I correct?

Regards,
Chris

Posted by Adrian Owen <ad...@eesm.com>.
Your dept., you're adept.

Posted by Andrew Kopp <AK...@soleilfoodservice.com>.

________________________________

Posted by Sven Specker <sp...@rz.uni-frankfurt.de>.
On 2020-04-14 14:38, Chris Lee wrote:
> HI All,
>
> Many thanks for reply.
>
> The main objective is  increase the total in/outing bandwidth.
>
> I have 3 internet line by different ISP, so I can build 3 Linux box, one for each WAN link like following:
>
> WAN 1 <-> Guacamole Server 1
> WAN 2 <-> Guacamole Server 2
> WAN 3 <-> Guacamole Server 3
>
> However, I don’t know the max users capacity for each WAN link, so want the WAN bandwidth is  used up. I can ask users try other WAN link / server combo.
>
> As I don’t want to maintained 3 Servers box, so I try to setup one Linux box for 3 WAN Link connection.
>
> WAN 1 \
> WAN 2 --- Guacamole Server
> WAN 3 /
>
> I tired the above configuration, as WAN 1 as default gateway,  so even I connect the server via WAN 2 or WAN 3, the system show network unstable error after I short period of time.
>
> I monitor the network traffic,  incoming traffic can come for different WAN link, but the outgoing always using WAN 1.
>
> I will try  iproute2, see if it can fix the issue.

Ah. Now i get it...I hope..:)

Build/Create a server with 3 NICs, use bonding to create one network
interface with a load balancing bonding mode.

That is done without much extra software apart from ethtool. Works on
any Linux/Unix.

That way you have

WAN1-NIC1\
WAN2-NIC2---->bond with a balancing mode-> guacamole
WAN3-NIC3 /

I am a bit slow today, so if I have misunderstood again, sorry. :)

Posted by Chris Misztur <cm...@mriiot.com>.