Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Brian Pontarelli <br...@pontarelli.com> on 2007/04/24 02:01:03 UTC

[S2] Validation aliases seem broken

I'm trying to put together a form that uses the bang notation for action
methods and for whatever reason I can't seem to get the aliased
validation XML files to work and have to resort to some fairly nasty
@SkipValidation hacks. Anyone see this also or is there a patch for it
in a version later than 2.0.6?

Here's my example form and action:

  <struts:form action="newsPersist!save">
    <struts:textarea name="news.article" label="Article body"
labelposition="top" required="true"/>
    <struts:textfield name="news.date" label="Post date"
labelposition="top" required="true"/>
    <struts:submit name="Submit" value="Submit"/>
  </struts:form>

public class NewsPersist extends BaseAction {
    private Integer id;
    private News news;

    @Inject
    public NewsPersist(JPAService jpaService, Configuration configuration) {
        super(catapultBeanService, configuration);
    }

    public Integer getId() {
        return id;
    }

    public void setId(Integer id) {
        this.id = id;
    }

    public News getNews() {
        return news;
    }

    public void setNews(News news) {
        this.news = news;
    }

    @SkipValidation
    public String add() {
        return "form";
    }

    @SkipValidation
    public String edit() {
        news = jpaService.getById(News.class, id);
        if (news == null) {
            addActionError("News item was removed.");
            return "notFound";
        }

        return "form";
    }

    public String save() {
        jpaService.persist(news);
        return "success";
    }
}

And finally, I have a single validation file named:

NewsPersist-validation.xml

What I figured would work was an XML file named:

NewsPersist-save-validation.xml

This doesn't seem to work however. Any ideas?

-bp

Re: [S2] Validation aliases seem broken

Posted by Brian Pontarelli <br...@pontarelli.com>.
Okay, this doesn't appear to work, unless I'm missing something. I
changed the name a few times and each time it seems as though it is
validating even though I'm not calling the specific action. Here are the
names I've tried:

NewsPersist-newsPersist!save-validation.xml
NewsPersist!save-validation.xml

Any other thoughts? I can start looking into the code and see what is
happening if no one knows.

Thanks
-bp

Posted by Brian Pontarelli <br...@pontarelli.com>.

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
--- Brian Pontarelli <br...@pontarelli.com> wrote:
> And finally, I have a single validation file named:
>
> NewsPersist-validation.xml
>
> What I figured would work was an XML file named:
>
> NewsPersist-save-validation.xml
>
> This doesn't seem to work however. Any ideas?

Check the archives for a previous thread on this
subject with Ted piping in and telling me I had been
telling everyone the wrong thing :/

The "alias" is more than just the method name (which I