Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by sandeep <sa...@huawei.com> on 2010/12/16 07:04:27 UTC

Hadoop upgrade [Do we need to have same value for dfs.name.dir ] while upgrading

HI ,

I am trying to upgrade hadoop ,as part of this i have set Two environment
variables NEW_HADOOP_INSTALL and OLD_HADOOP_INSTALL .

After this i have executed the following command %
NEW_HADOOP_INSTALL/bin/start-dfs -upgrade

But namenode didnot started as it was throwing Inconsistent state exception
as the dfs.name.dir is not present

Here My question is while upgrading do we need to have the same old
configurations like dfs.name.dir..etc

Or Do i need to format that namenode first and then start upgrading?

Please let me know

Thanks

sandeep

***********
but not limited to, total or partial disclosure, reproduction, or
dissemination) by persons other than the intended recipient's) is

RE: Hadoop upgrade [Do we need to have same value for dfs.name.dir ] while upgrading

Posted by sandeep <sa...@huawei.com>.
Thanks adarsh.

i have done the followign  for NEW_HADOOP_INSTALL (new hadoop version
installation )i have set same values for dfs.name.dir and fs.checkpoint
which i have configured in OLD_HADOOP_INSTALL(old hadoop version
installation)

Now it is working

Thanks
sandeep

***********
but not limited to, total or partial disclosure, reproduction, or
dissemination) by persons other than the intended recipient's) is

> I am trying to upgrade hadoop ,as part of this i have set Two environment
> variables NEW_HADOOP_INSTALL and OLD_HADOOP_INSTALL .
>

> After this i have executed the following command %
> NEW_HADOOP_INSTALL/bin/start-dfs -upgrade
>

> But namenode didnot started as it was throwing Inconsistent state
exception
> as the dfs.name.dir is not present
>

> Here My question is while upgrading do we need to have the same old
> configurations like dfs.name.dir..etc
>

> Or Do i need to format that namenode first and then start upgrading?
>

> Please let me know
>

> Thanks
>
> sandeep

> ***********
> This e-mail and attachments contain confidential information from HUAWEI,
> which is intended only for the person or entity whose address is listed
> above. Any use of the information contained herein in any way (including,
> but not limited to, total or partial disclosure, reproduction, or
> dissemination) by persons other than the intended recipient's) is
> prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender
by

Sandeep This Error occurs due to new namespace issue in Hadoop. Did u
copy dfs.name.dir and fs.checkpoint dir to new Hadoop  directory.

Namenode Format would cause u to loose all previous data.

Best Regards

Adarsh Sharma

Re: Hadoop upgrade [Do we need to have same value for dfs.name.dir ] while upgrading

Posted by Adarsh Sharma <ad...@orkash.com>.