Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by George Karalis <th...@gmail.com> on 2018/11/19 12:04:29 UTC

Small website refresh

Hello everyone,

Since the 4.1.6 release is out, I was thinking for a small update at the openoffice.org homepage
to make the end users onboarding a little bit easier. I ‘ve coded a little sample that you can see
bellow, so if you are ok with a refresh on the homepage I can integrate the code within the
current website repository.

Regards,
George

Re: Small website refresh

Posted by George Karalis <th...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Thanks for the feedback. I have feature matched the new website with the old,
added linux support and implemented a quick download button on the hero
homepage. Now a code cleanup and refactoring is in order.

You can always view the website here:
[1] https://thorbust.github.io/openoffice-website/  <https://thorbust.github.io/openoffice-website/>

And find the repository here:
[2] https://github.com/thorbust/openoffice-website <https://github.com/thorbust/openoffice-website>

Regards,
George

Re: Small website refresh

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi George,

Re: Small website refresh

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: Small website refresh

Posted by George Karalis <th...@gmail.com>.
Hello Francis,

Keep in mind that this is just a prototype to see if you like the overall look and feel
that I designed. I just wanted to illustrate my idea and what’s better than a fully
functional prototype.

As for the three download buttons, well there's one at the header which will be
visible on all pages that will serve as a call to action button for users to download
OpenOffice(which will lead at the downloads page). The homepage’s hero download
button will serve as a quick download button, so the user downloads the correct
OpenOffice for his/hers system immediately without having to go to the downloads
page(this is not yet fully implemented, so you only see the download for windows,
which for the purpose of the prototype leads again to the downloads page). The
other releases button serves the purpose, that if a user for example is on a windows
machine and wants to download a linux flavour of OpenOffice, to install later on
another linux computer, goes to a page that lists all OpenOffices builds. As i
couldn't find such a page, in the original website I again redirected to the downloads
page(could also lead to the sourceforge page for now). As for the wrong choice
you've been offered that is true a different thing that affects the current downloads
page.

All I am asking now is if I could have access to a staging environment(maybe in
another url, as I don't want to mess with your current staging site, as  you may want
to make changes there), so I can make those changes and having a fully working and
tested homepage within this week, that we can move live.

Thanks in advance,
George

Re: Small website refresh

Posted by "F C. Costero" <fj...@gmail.com>.