Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> on 2013/03/10 19:52:46 UTC

Incorrect definition of lazy consensus in by-laws

Devs,

I was just reading through the by-laws we voted in (sorry, I am about a
month late in doing this, I know) and it occurred to me that we might have
the wrong definition of lazy consensus.

Specifically, we define it here:

"3.2.1. Lazy Consensus - Lazy consensus requires 3 binding +1 votes and no
binding -1 votes."

My understanding of lazy consensus is that it requires no votes whatsoever.
In fact, there are two modes. The first is to simply do whatever it is you
think is a good idea, and assume someone will speak up if they disagree.
The other is to state your intention, and give 72 hours for people to
object. If you receive no objections, you proceed.

Neither of these situations require any votes. And in fact, the primary
idea behind lazy consensus is that if you hear nothing, you can proceed.

Here's a good page about it:

http://rave.apache.org/docs/governance/lazyConsensus.html

If you look on the foundation's page[1] on voting, you even see things like
this:

"Unless a vote has been declared as using lazy consensus , three +1 votes
are required for a code-modification proposal to pass."

i.e. Needing three +1 votes is an alternative to lazy consensus.

I think we need to update our by-laws to fix this.

[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html#LazyConsensus

NS

Re: Incorrect definition of lazy consensus in by-laws

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 05:08:26PM +0000, Noah Slater wrote:
> I am going to bring this up with Hadoop! I'll circle back here afterwards.

Works for me!  Thanks Noah.  Happy to do a round of adjustments as
necessary.

Re: Incorrect definition of lazy consensus in by-laws

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.