Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Internet Total Solutions LLC - Customer Liaisons Department - <to...@loxinfo.co.th> on 2001/07/03 12:37:10 UTC

I need help in tomcat configuration with Oracle 8.1.7

Hello,

I would like to know whether anyone is able to give me a hint towards solving the following scenario. If anyone is available on consultation basis, it is fine too.

I have developed website personalization engine in java that comes with it's own kind of application server to handle the client access requests to the oracle 8.1.7 db through the use of tomcat 3.1 I am using the oracle thin driver and classes111.zip in order to handle the requests through the jdbc. However tomcat giving me serious errors and my client application can't login to the database. Would anyone be able to help me on that matter?

Thanks

Tobias Hansen

Re: I need help in tomcat configuration with Oracle 8.1.7

Posted by pete <pe...@claudia.dyn.dhs.org>.
'Serious Errors'? you'll have to be a bit more specific than that.

Exactly what errors is tomcat giving you? - Segmentation faults?
NullPointerExceptions? NoClassDefFoundException?

Also, be aware that Tomcat 3.2.2 is the latest stable version, and it
has fixes for a number of problems with versions prior to it.

This may have nothing to do with1 your problems, but it is advisable to
upgrade to 3.2.2, unless you have a particular reason to stick with 3.1

-Pete

Posted by Internet Total Solutions LLC - Customer Liaisons Department - <to...@loxinfo.co.th>.
Hello Guys,

thanks for so much advises from all of you, I will try now to incorporate certain ideas to see whether I get it to work.

Thanks

Tobias
  I don't know anything too specific about use with Oracle, but I've certainly used servlets/JSP's to access DB's via JDBC in the past (read: maintained code which did it, not developed it!), so its certainly possible. Firstly, could you give the exact error you are getting from tomcat? Also, you might want to try using 3.2.2, which is the current stable release and might contain fixes to your problems already.

  sam

Posted by Sam Newman <sa...@stamplets.com>.

Posted by Darren Thamadi Roberts <dl...@yahoo.com>.
As long as you have the classes111.zip in your
classpath, you should not have a problem. I just
created a simple form that allowed a user to enter
information and login. You could also hardcode these
values and they would work. Here's a little snippet of
code that works fine. You have catch the exceptions,
but the connection will work for you.

  private String url;
  private String user;
  private String password;
  private Connection conn;
  private boolean conn_s;
  private boolean hasClosed;
  public void init(ServletConfig config) throws
ServletException {
    super.init(config);
    conn_s=false;
    hasClosed=true;

  }
  /**Process the HTTP Get request*/
HttpServletResponse response) throws ServletException,
IOException
  {

url="jdbc:oracle:thin:@"+request.getParameter("hostString");
    user=request.getParameter("userName");
    password=request.getParameter("password");
    try
    {
      System.out.println("Current connection status:
"+hasClosed);
      DriverManager.registerDriver (new
oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver());

conn=DriverManager.getConnection(url,user,password);
      conn_s=true;
      System.out.println("Connection made
succesfully");
    }

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

RE: I need help in tomcat configuration with Oracle 8.1.7

Posted by Mike Braden <mi...@nc.rr.com>.
Tobias,

Here is an example that should help:

http://www.thejspbook.com/solaris-oracle-howto.html