Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Bruce Snyder <fe...@frii.com> on 2004/09/13 20:03:57 UTC

Re: questions, questions, questions - I need some quick answers

This one time, at band camp, Dain Sundstrom said:

DS>I answered the ones I know inline....

Thanks again, Dain!

DS>On Sep 13, 2004, at 9:11 AM, Bruce Snyder wrote:
DS>
DS>> I've got a bunch of questions that I need answered quickly. Please
DS>> help me out if you can:
DS>>
DS>> How can openejb-jar descriptors be generated?  Is there an XDoclet
DS>> plugin? Or, are the geronimo* descriptors generated automatically
DS>> by the builders?
DS>
DS>No XDoclet that I know of... I write them by hand.  BTW, The
DS>openejb-jar.xml is not required anymore.

Great, are the other geronimo*.xml descriptors still required (e.g.
geronimo-jetty.xml, geronimo-application.xml, etc.)?

DS>> How can an application be stopped and undeployed from the command
DS>> line outside of Maven?

Does anyone know if/how this can be done?

DS>> Is OpenEJB planning on supporting EJB 3? Is this work under way?
DS>
DS>OpenEJB will support EJB 3 no matter how bad the spec come out.  We may
DS>not recommend anyone use EJB 3 (and I wouldn't right now), but we will
DS>support it.
DS>
DS>> Can GBeans be included in a jar housing my applicaiton (similar to
DS>> .sars being included in an .ear file)? If so, are GBeans deployed
DS>> first?
DS>> Also, should we call the GBean archives .gars?
DS>
DS>You can put GBean XML declarations into any descriptor.  Specifically
DS>in this case, you can put them in your geronimo-application.xml file.
DS>If you want the GBean to start first, you need to declare a single
DS>valued reference (dependency) from your GBean to the EJB (object name
DS>as determined by JSR 77).
DS>
DS>> The Geronimo builders are creating all the configuration objects.
DS>> Are these the objects that are serialized out into the config.ser
DS>> file?
DS>
DS>Yes, but there is only one Configuration object created, and it is that
DS>object that is serialized.

I thought that the serialized configs contained an arbitrary graph
of objects and that was why building a viewer was a big PITA? Am I
mixing up two different things here?

DS>> How can an application be undeployed on the command line (i.e.
DS>> without the Maven Geronimo plugin)?

Whoops, I asked the question above twice ;-).

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo

Re: questions, questions, questions - I need some quick answers

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <ds...@gluecode.com>.
On Sep 13, 2004, at 11:25 AM, Bruce Snyder wrote:

> This one time, at band camp, Dain Sundstrom said:

> objects.
> config.ser

> it is
> DS>> that
> DS>>
> DS>> I thought that the serialized configs contained an arbitrary graph
> DS>> of objects and that was why building a viewer was a big PITA? Am I
> DS>> mixing up two different things here?
> DS>
> DS>It does.  This is a single Configuration containing N GBeans with N
> DS>attributes.
>
> Then it sounds like it is still possible to build a viewer. From a
> single Configuration object, I'm guessing it's a collection of N
> GBeans. If so, it shouldn't be too difficult to walk the collection
> and ask for the constructor, methods, etc.

Sort of.... the attributes can be objects and these objects can hold
references to the values stored in other attributes (e.g., you get an
arbitrarily complex object graph).

-dain

Re: questions, questions, questions - I need some quick answers

Posted by Bruce Snyder <fe...@frii.com>.
This one time, at band camp, Dain Sundstrom said:

DS>On Sep 13, 2004, at 11:03 AM, Bruce Snyder wrote:
DS>
DS>> This one time, at band camp, Dain Sundstrom said:

DS>> DS>No XDoclet that I know of... I write them by hand.  BTW, The
DS>> DS>openejb-jar.xml is not required anymore.
DS>>
DS>> Great, are the other geronimo*.xml descriptors still required (e.g.
DS>> geronimo-jetty.xml, geronimo-application.xml, etc.)?
DS>
DS>Only the geronimo-ra.xml is required.

Great!

DS>> DS>Yes, but there is only one Configuration object created, and it is
DS>> that
DS>> DS>object that is serialized.
DS>>
DS>> I thought that the serialized configs contained an arbitrary graph
DS>> of objects and that was why building a viewer was a big PITA? Am I
DS>> mixing up two different things here?
DS>
DS>It does.  This is a single Configuration containing N GBeans with N
DS>attributes.

Then it sounds like it is still possible to build a viewer. From a
single Configuration object, I'm guessing it's a collection of N
GBeans. If so, it shouldn't be too difficult to walk the collection
and ask for the constructor, methods, etc.

Bruce

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo

Re: questions, questions, questions - I need some quick answers

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <ds...@gluecode.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@gluecode.com>.
Bruce Snyder wrote:

> DS>> How can an application be undeployed on the command line (i.e.
> DS>> without the Maven Geronimo plugin)?

Any JSR-88 client tool can do it - if you can find one :-)

Seriously, the provider interface is there, we just need to wrap it up
in a command line utility. The priority for this was Maven and Ant tasks
to support developers but a standalone command would be welcome as well.

--
Jeremy