Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Wang, Mary Y" <ma...@boeing.com> on 2010/05/19 02:53:07 UTC

[users@httpd] Is /etc/resolve.conf being Used for Apache 2?

Hi,

Is /etc/resolve.conf being used for Apache2 to resolve DNS issues?

Thanks
Mary

Re: [users@httpd] Is /etc/resolve.conf being Used for Apache 2?

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
Hello,

please configure your mailer to wrap lines below 80 characters per line.
72 to 75 is usually OK.

Thank you.

On 18.05.10 19:05, Wang, Mary Y wrote:
> Well.. I'm just trying to make sure that I cover all ends to make sure
> that a DNS alias (a CNAME) is working correctly like I expected. I've
> having some Virtual Host problem... You can see my previous posts with
> this subject title "Struggle with Named Virtual Host - The Second Named
> Virtual Host Always Returns 404 File Not Found Error"..

apache only resolves hostnames(*) when a name is used in

<VirtualHost hostname>

section. You apparently need to look how ServerName, ServerAlias and
NameVirtualHost directives work.

(*) - yes, it sometimes resolves hostnames in logfiles and when proxy is
used, but it's irelavant here.

> I'm kind of giving up the idea of working from the httpd.conf that was
> provided by the system.  I'm in the process of just using my Apache 1.3.27
> httpd.conf and manually migrate it to work Apache 2.0.  Maybe that would
> be easier...Sigh...

I believe you could answer Eric's question much better...

What makes you think there's problem with DNS?

Spam is for losers who can't get business any other way.

RE: [users@httpd] Is /etc/resolve.conf being Used for Apache 2?

Posted by "Smith, Cathy" <ca...@pnl.gov>.
Mary

Did you ever make any progress?  This sounds just like what I ran into when I built Apache 2.2.11 from source for RHEL5.4 last summer.  I never did get a good solution.  The following worked for me.  In the section for configuring the Virtual Host:

<Dirctory "/apps/foo">
   Allow from ALL
</Directory>
<VirtualHost 192.168.29.10>
   DocumentRoot "/apps/foo"
</VirtualHost>

The gotcha, though, was this didn't always work and I couldn't figure out why.  So last month I rebuilt the web server with the Apache 2.2 that comes with RHEL5.

Cathy
---
Cathy L. Smith
IT Engineer
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory

Phone:  509.375.2687
Fax:        509.375.2330
Email:     cathy.smith@pnl.gov

Well.. I'm just trying to make sure that I cover all ends to make sure that a DNS alias (a CNAME) is working correctly like I expected. I've having some Virtual Host problem... You can see my previous posts with this subject title "Struggle with Named Virtual Host - The Second Named Virtual Host Always Returns 404 File Not Found Error"..
I'm kind of giving up the idea of working from the httpd.conf that was provided by the system.  I'm in the process of just using my Apache 1.3.27 httpd.conf and manually migrate it to work Apache 2.0.  Maybe that would be easier...Sigh...

Mary

> Is /etc/resolve.conf being used for Apache2 to resolve DNS issues?

Apache calls into your systems resolver, which might be configured by /etc/resolv.conf.

Why do you suspect it doesn't? What problem do you have?

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com

RE: [users@httpd] Is /etc/resolve.conf being Used for Apache 2?