Posted to dev@ctakes.apache.org by Chase Master <ch...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/04 17:26:19 UTC

Re: Incorrect frequency in Drug NER?

Hi,
I've been experimenting with the Drug NER module as well.  I noticed that
for the phrase "Ibuprofen increased from 200 mg to 300 mg p.o. once a day."
the medicationFrequency has number = 1, but unit = null for the Ibuprofen
with strength 300 mg.  Also, for the phrase "Aspirin 200-mg once-a-day",
there is no medicationFrequency, whereas for the phrase "Aspirin 200-mg
once a day" medicationFrequency has number = 1, unit = day.  I have noticed
this behaviour on both v3.0 and the trunk.

Thanks

Posted by "Lin, Chen" <Ch...@childrens.harvard.edu>.
Hi Chase,

I have observed this similar issue in my use case, for example,
"... #1 Bottle(s)metformin PO undefined Methotrexate (ORAL) 15 MG (2.5MG TABLET Take 6) PO QWEEK , 6 tablets, once a week #24 Tablet(s)Metrocream (METRONIDAZOLE 0.75% Cream)..."

I thought the dosage number for Methotrexate should be "15", and the unit should be "MG". Instead, I got the number as "15", but the unit as "%".

And Sean Murphy, who developed the drug-ner module, gave me the following explanation.  Hope it is relevant and helpful! Hope this out-of-context signature problem could be fixed in the future.

Best,
Chen

___________________________

	The drugner pipeline attempts to assign the drug signature elements such as strength, strength unit, frequency, route, etc. in a very linear, left-to-right approach.   It doesn't have any ability to cross reference the mentions, so it sees each drug named entity as a new distinct mention.
	Therefore, in your example below there are actually four entities being parsed:
	1)   melformin from '1 Bottle(s)metformin PO undefined' which is assigned route as "Enteral_Oral" only
	2)  Methotrexate from ' Methotrexate (ORAL) 15 MG (2.5MG TABLET Take 6) PO QWEEK , 6 tablets, once a week #24 Tablet(s)' which is assigned 		route "Enteral_Oral",  dose "24", form "tablet", strength "15", strength unit "MG"
	3) Metrocream from 'Metrocream' with no attributes and
	4) METRONIDAZOLE from 'METRONIDAZOLE 0.75% Cream' with route "Topical", form "cream", strength "0.75" and strength unit "%"

	So the window that dictates where these terms are assigned is bordered by the actual drug mentions, themselves.

MedicationDosage pertains to the quantity, typically a numeric value followed by the form.
MedicationStrength pertains to the quantity, also typically a numeric value followed by a strength unit.

	So I think the situation you are seeing could be disjointed or out of context with the entity mention that owns the attribute.

	Thanks,
	~Sean