Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Harsha <ma...@harsha.io> on 2015/02/11 18:17:12 UTC

[DISCUSS] KIP-12 - Kafka Sasl/Kerberos implementation

Hi,
    Here is the initial proposal for sasl/kerberos implementation for
    kafka https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/x/YI4WAw
and JIRA https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-1686. I am
currently working on prototype which will add more details to the KIP.
Just opening the thread to say the work is in progress. I'll update the
thread with a initial prototype patch.
Thanks,
Harsha

Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-12 - Kafka Sasl/Kerberos implementation

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gs...@cloudera.com>.
I've checked on other projects, and both Hadoop, HBase and Solr dropped
their JDK6 support in the last few month.

The process they used in Hadoop was:
1. Announce that a specific release is the last one with JDK6 support (2.6
for Hadoop)
2. Allowed contributors from companies that plan to stay on JDK6 to push
all the features they need to that release (so these companies will have
time to shift off JDK6 before they need to upgrade for new features)
3. Stopped testing on JDK6

Does that sound like a good transition plan for Kafka too?

Gwen

Posted by Joe Stein <jo...@stealth.ly>.

Posted by Harsha <ka...@harsha.io>.

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gs...@cloudera.com>.