Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rodent of Unusual Size <co...@decus.org> on 1997/03/01 04:56:37 UTC

Re: Searchable mail archives

>From the fingers of Brian Behlendorf flowed the following:
>
>On Fri, 28 Feb 1997, Alexei Kosut wrote:
>>         There is a mail archive (http://dev.apache.org/mail/) ...
>
>It really needs to be made searchable.
>
>Has anyone seen a decent mbox->web interface come up which allows me to
>continue storing my messages in mbox format and doesn't require
>making a separate HTML document for each message, but instead renders
>the message into templates on the fly?

    I wasn't going to say [write? ;-] anything about it yet, but I've
    been hacking at something like this for exactly this reason.  I've
    been using the Apache archives as a testbed because they're an
    excellent stress-test. ;->

    It's a long way from finished, and if someone comes up  with a
    solution before mine is ready, that would be great (almost anything
    would be better than what I've got so far) - but I'll probably keep
    hacking at it because it's an interesting exercise.

    #ken    :-)}

Re: Searchable mail archives

Posted by ra...@lerdorf.on.ca.
I like a little thing called mhonarc for converting mailboxes and mailing
list archives into a web interface.

-Rasmus

Re: Searchable mail archives

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
I'd love something like this too... but unlike Brian I'll take it in
individual files.  Actually I'm thinking IMAP4 is the way to abstract it.

The nice thing about one big file is that pine (or whatever) can search it
easily... but the nice thing about multiple files is that you can glimpse
it and search it faster.  What's missing on the server side is an IMAP4
server that integrates glimpse to implement the SEARCH command (so that it
goes fast on large archives like new-httpd).  Then write some CGIs that
talk IMAP to the server... heck you could even allow public access to the
IMAP port for those of us that use IMAP capable clients.

Dean

P.S. Pine 4.0 is slated to have IMAP4 support, I haven't looked at how
much of this works with the current v2bis support that it has.