Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Lukas Bradley <lu...@somnia.com> on 2005/03/16 16:23:28 UTC

Tomcat 5.0.x, Log4J, Commons Logging, and Digester Hell (Need Best Practices)

I need some best practices advice regarding the use of Log4J, Commons
Logging, Tomcat 5.0.x, Digester, multiple third party support
applications (such as Jakarta Struts, Hibernate 3
(http://www.hibernate.org), Spring Framework
(http://www.springframework.org), and others.

For the past 2 years, I have simply not included the Commons Logging Jar
because of the Digester spam received during Tomcat startup.  I have
tried MULTIPLE configurations using different properties files to no avail.

Would someone please offer me a solution for a development environment
whereby I can customize the types of logging offered to stdout?  In
short, I want to set Digester logging to WARN, but have been incredibly
unsuccessful.

Thank you for any help.  Please be specific about the steps I should
take; I don't want to miss anything, or have a noble poster assume I
know something, when I don't.