Posted to wss4j-dev@ws.apache.org by Ruchith Fernando <ru...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/22 04:15:07 UTC

Re: [Synapse]RE: CryptoFactory: Cannot load properties:crypto.properties

Hi,

I downloaded Synapse [1] and I couldn't find any of the security
related mediators in it.

Thanks,
Ruchith

Ref:
[1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/synapse/trunk/java

Posted by Saminda Abeyruwan <sa...@gmail.com>.
On 3/22/06, Soumadeep <so...@infravio.com> wrote:

> Hi Ruchith,
>
> That's a good observation. The features that were listed have not been
> committed as yet because we are still in the process of doing so. We will
> keep you posted.

Mediators are one unique entities that are going to grow exponentially as
Synapse grows.  Paul, as the release manager, has put on the M2 todo list
what we should expect on  M2  release. Security and RM is must.

As this is a ASF project, if you guys are writing mediators, please be kind
enough to *write a  descriptive note* to this mailing list before committing
any code, otherwise it will be like the thread on SynapseObject, where there
are other proven alternative technologies exist than SynapesObject itself.

When i read your response, you have mentioned some mediators that ain't
exist in M1 or M2 candidate. So IMHO we should  try to stick to what we have
now and what we have agreed to do on.

As Synapse started from scratch with no string attached, let it be a good
code base to other developers to develop.

Thank you

Saminda

Thanks

Posted by Soumadeep <so...@infravio.com>.
Sure Sanjiva :) , and putting it in the scratch is a good idea at least
people can comment on a concept and on acceptance we can put it in the main
code base.

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Posted by Soumadeep <so...@infravio.com>.
Sanjiva,

Please see my comments inline

Best regards
Soumadeep

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Posted by Soumadeep <so...@infravio.com>.
Sanjiva,

1) First of all let me emphasize that Mukund's statement and my response to
Ruchith are no way related.
2) We work on the mediators and do a primary test before we commit it to the
ASF repository.
3) And what ever that we proposed (like Mukund's management related code
base or SynapseObject) are in the scratch already
4) The reason some of the mediators that we came up with didn't make it to
the repo yet is because of issues pertaining to data sharing between
mediators, and
    you are aware of the long thread about SynapseObject per se.

I hope this addresses your concerns.

Best regards
Soumadeep

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
(Removed wss4j-dev from the discussion.)

This statement below is inconsistent with Mukund's that the code was
already contributed. If this code is not already contributed then is it
new code? If so can you do the work in the ASF repo itself? (You can do
it in scratch if that's preferred because we're still changing the base
platform.)

I of course understand people will build additional mediators on their
own. My own company will likely do the same.

However, if those mediators are to be part of the core of Synapse then
they must be done on this mailing list - you can't just do them
elsewhere and contribute them without going thru a software grant
process. That process is needed for legal clarity.

Sanjiva.

On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 08:57 +0530, Soumadeep wrote:
> Hi Ruchith,
>
> That's a good observation. The features that were listed have not been
> committed as yet because we are still in the process of doing so. We will
> keep you posted.
>
> Thanks
> Soumadeep

WSS4J in WebSphere enviroment

Posted by ma...@fsb.se.
Hi

I am trying to get WSS4J to secure a web service that is generated by
the IBM plugin in WSAD(5.1.2). The IBM plugin is based only on Jaxrpc,
no references to Axis. So I am using the WSS4J
jaxrpc(org.apache.ws.security.handler.WSS4JHandler) handler by defining
it as an inbound security handler.

Unfortunate I am not getting it to work. When I generate the same web
service with Axis and specify the Axis WSS4J handler it works like a
charm(both in a Tomcat and a WebSphere server). The parameters for the
Axis and the Jaxrpc handler is as follows:

Axis:
	<requestFlow>
	   <handler
type="java:org.apache.ws.axis.security.WSDoAllReceiver">
	    <parameter name="passwordCallbackClass"
value="se.fsb.spoe.security.PWCallback"/>
	    <parameter name="action" value="Signature Encrypt
Timestamp"/>
	    <parameter name="signaturePropFile"
value="cryptoserver.properties" />
	   </handler>
	</requestFlow>

Jaxrpc:
               <init-param id="InitParam_23424352342">
                  <param-name>passwordCallbackClass</param-name>

<param-value>se.fsb.spoe.security.PWCallback</param-value>
               </init-param>
               <init-param id="InitParam_23452345232872983">
                  <param-name>action</param-name>
                  <param-value>Signature Encrypt Timestamp</param-value>
               </init-param>
               <init-param id="InitParam_1146546345872984">
                  <param-name>signaturePropFile</param-name>
                  <param-value>cryptoserver.properties</param-value>
               </init-param>
               <init-param id="InitParam_114253563472985">
                  <param-name>deployment</param-name>
                  <param-value>server</param-value>
               </init-param>
               <init-param id="InitParam_114234563456872986">
                  <param-name>flow</param-name>
                  <param-value>request-only</param-value>
               </init-param>

I have debugged as far as it was possible and its when the
WSSecurityEngine tries to verifies the XML Signature (method
verifyXmlSignature(Element, Crypto, X509Certificate, Vector)) at line
571 (WSS4J version 1.0.0). The following is executed at that line
signatureOk = sig.checkSignatureValue(certs[0]); Where sig is a
org.apache.xml.security.signature.XMLSignature. Unfortunate I can't get
the debugger to find the source code lines when entering the xmlsec so I
can see exactly where the problem occurs. But during the call the
following is written in the server console
"org.apache.xml.security.signature.Reference  Verification successful
for URI "#id-1680521892"". This should indicate that the signature is
valid but the checkSignatureValue method returns false which WSS4J then
of course reports as a WSSecurityException.

Has anyone used WSS4J jaxrpc handler successfully in a WebSphere 5.1
enviroment? Anyone that has any ideas on what can be wrong?

As the company I am working for has a simple web service framework build
with jaxrpc handlers (things like authentication, SST etc) I am
recommended to use the WSS4J without Axis. But if I can show that there
are some problems with it I hope that I can use Axis instead. As I need
to state my case on why Axis is needed I would like to find whats
causing this error I am getting.

Thanks,
Markus