Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by The Gman <gm...@yahoo.com> on 2004/04/02 21:22:56 UTC

Re: Tomcat5 - MySql5.0.0a - apache2.0 - XP - JNDI connection problems - Doug - Parsons Technical Services

I apologize - but I haven't been receiving any of the tomcat-user lists emails to my previous email account.  I could only see responses in the mailing list archive. I have since switched to this email address and the mailing list is working fine. Anyway...

Doug - Parsons Technical Services responses were:

>> I am running windows XP - have apache 2.0.48 and Tomcat 5.0.19 up and
>> running with j2sdk1.4.2_04. I am also running MySql5.0.0a
>>
>I recommend for the purpose of testing to access Tomcat directly if
>possible. MySQL version may cause issues as noted by Tom. Once everything
>else is fixed, we'll see.
I am a newbie at configuration and Tomcat - what do you mean by "directly"? And how do I check or change this?
>> What is wrong with my configuration?
>To answer this it is much easier if we can see them. Which files do you want and do I just attach them to the email or paste them into the email? Do you want the whole file or just parts? (They will look like a brand new install with the following changes as lined out on this page: http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.html  )

>> Step 2. server.xml configuration says "</Context> tag of the examples
>> context and the </Host>"
>> My server.xml doesn't have <Context> tags should there be one?
>Yes and no.
>To keep things simple and to start you down the path of Tomcat knowledge,
>for now create the context section as shown in the example. Later you can
>move it to context.xml. Look up the context section under server
>configuration for more detail.
Sounds like I can leave it where it is and look into a context.xml file later on.

>> Step 3. web.xml configuration - Do I make/add these changes to the web.xml
>> under $CATALINA\ROOT\WEB-INF or under a subdirectory called /DBTest/??
>Under /DBTest/WEB-INF/ in the web.xml for your app.
I'll make these changes tomorrow am and test. (I'm not near my machine...)

>> Step 4. test code says "deploy your web app into $CATALINA_HOME/webapps
>> either as a warfile called DBTest.war orinto a subdirectory called DBTest."
>> So, I created a directory called DBTest and just put the test.jsp file into
>> that directory - doesn't that qualify as "deploying"??
>No. IMHO  You need to create the file structure and the web.xml. Not sure what else as I use .war files.
Ok - newbie question - Can you point me to what my file structure should look like or else how to create a .war file? I am guessing that it will mimic one of the "main" directories.

For completeness and reference - my previous email:

I am following:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.html

I am running windows XP - have apache 2.0.48 and Tomcat 5.0.19 up and
running with j2sdk1.4.2_04. I am also running MySql5.0.0a

Under $CATALINA_HOME/comon/lib
  mysql-connector-java-3.0.11-stable-bin
  commons-collections.3.0.jar
  commons-dbcp-1.1.jar
  commons-pool-1.1.jar

When I run the test code - test.jsp I get the following error:

Exception report:
org.apache.jasper.JasperException: The absolute uri:
http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/sql cannot be resolved in either web.xml or
the
jar files deployed with this application

org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.jspError(DefaultErrorHand
ler.java:94)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.dispatch(ErrorDispatcher.java
:404)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.jspError(ErrorDispatcher.java
:154)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.TagLibraryInfoImpl.generateTLDLocation(TagLib
raryInfoImpl.java:359)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.TagLibraryInfoImpl.<init>(TagLibraryInfoImpl.
java:190)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parseTaglibDirective(Parser.java:458)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parseDirective(Parser.java:523)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parseElements(Parser.java:1577)
        org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.parse(Parser.java:171)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.ParserController.doParse(ParserController.jav
a:258)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.ParserController.parse(ParserController.java:
139)

org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateJava(Compiler.java:237)
        org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:456)
        org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:439)

org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.ja
va:553)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.ja
va:291)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:301)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:248)
        javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:856)

What is wrong with my configuration?

Step 2. server.xml configuration says "</Context> tag of the examples
context and the </Host>"
My server.xml doesn't have <Context> tags should there be one?

Step 3. web.xml configuration - Do I make/add these changes to the
web.xml
under $CATALINA\ROOT\WEB-INF or under a subdirectory called /DBTest/??

Step 4. test code says "deploy your web app into $CATALINA_HOME/webapps
either as a warfile called DBTest.war orinto a subdirectory called
DBTest."
So, I created a directory called DBTest and just put the test.jsp file
into
that directory - doesn't that qualify as "deploying"??

Thanks for any help to fix my configuration.

Tim