Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Geoffrey Schaller <gj...@gmail.com> on 2022/12/29 15:01:40 UTC

Looking for help connecting to MacOS from Guacamole

Hello, I am a newer user of Guacamole, and I am trying to set up a
connection to my Mac(s) at home.  I did some googling prior to joining this
list, but could find nothing conclusive confirming a way to resolve my
issues, or that the issue is known and / or this will not work.  Here's the
full details on my setup:

* Home server is a TrueNAS running TrueNAS 13.0
* Guacamole is running in a Jail on the TrueNAS
* I am able to browse to, and log into, Guacamole from an outside computer
without issue
* Mac is a MacBook on my home network, with a reserved IP address, running
MacOS Ventura 13.1 (Latest version)
* Mac is available via VNC to other devices on my network.  If I use VNC
from an iPad while on my home WiFi, I can connect to and control my Mac
without issue..

OK, so the challenges:
* I can connect to, and log into, Guacamole without issue.
* For the connection, under "Network," I have the reserved IP address of
the Mac, and a port of 5900.
* For Authentication, I have tried both the Full Name and the Username on
my Mac's user account, and the password.
* When I try to connect, it gives me a screen / message that it is
establishing the connection, then fails after 60 seconds.

Before I go diving into the logs (which I will need help with - I am new to
Guac  / FreeBSD), I would like to ask: Is there confirmation that this
works, or confirmation that this does NOT work?  I'm somewhat surprised I
couldn't get a confirmation either way by googling before subscribing to
the list.

Thank you for your help and advice!
--
Geoffrey Schaller
gjschaller@gmail.com

Re: Looking for help connecting to MacOS from Guacamole

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Dec 29, 2022 at 10:02 AM Geoffrey Schaller <gj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, I am a newer user of Guacamole, and I am trying to set up a connection to my Mac(s) at home.  I did some googling prior to joining this list, but could find nothing conclusive confirming a way to resolve my issues, or that the issue is known and / or this will not work.  Here's the full details on my setup:
>
> * Home server is a TrueNAS running TrueNAS 13.0
> * Guacamole is running in a Jail on the TrueNAS
> * I am able to browse to, and log into, Guacamole from an outside computer without issue
> * Mac is a MacBook on my home network, with a reserved IP address, running MacOS Ventura 13.1 (Latest version)
> * Mac is available via VNC to other devices on my network.  If I use VNC from an iPad while on my home WiFi, I can connect to and control my Mac without issue..
>
> OK, so the challenges:
> * I can connect to, and log into, Guacamole without issue.
> * For the connection, under "Network," I have the reserved IP address of the Mac, and a port of 5900.
> * For Authentication, I have tried both the Full Name and the Username on my Mac's user account, and the password.
> * When I try to connect, it gives me a screen / message that it is establishing the connection, then fails after 60 seconds.
>
> Before I go diving into the logs (which I will need help with - I am new to Guac  / FreeBSD), I would like to ask: Is there confirmation that this works, or confirmation that this does NOT work?  I'm somewhat surprised I couldn't get a confirmation either way by googling before subscribing to the list.

I have connected to certain versions of OSX with the built-in Username
+ Password security, so I am reasonably certain that it works. It will
likely depend on the version of libvncserver/client you are using and
what it supports - Guacamole's support for various VNC authentication
mechanisms, as well as TLS, depends upon the version of
libvncserver/client being used and what it supports.

So, definitely look at the logs, particularly the guacd logs, to see
what messages are present when the connection fails. You also may need
to start guacd in debug mode ("-L debug" on the command line, or
modify /etc/guacamole/guacd.conf) to get the most useful error
messages.

-Nick