Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Holger Faltinsky/Denic <fa...@denic.de> on 2004/04/08 16:42:34 UTC

WG: excalibur-pool bug? ..

Hi there.

we checked the mailarchive, but unfortunately we did not find the
information we neeed, so we are posting our question here. It should be
very easy to answer this right away:

We are running Avalon phoenix 4.0.4 which is accompanied by
excalibur-pool-1.0.jar and excalibur-thread-1.1.1.jar in a production
environment. We are facing problems with the SoftResourceLimitingPool. It
seems that unter certain conditions the preconfigured <max-threads> value
is exceeded and from then on the pool grows fast until we run 'out of
memory'. We work around that bug in setting the <max-threads> value to an
unreasonable high number. We would like to eliminate this problem.

We checked the jakarta cvs for newer released(!) version of mentioned
libraries. We found a newer version of excalibur-pool (1.2);
exclaibur-thread hasn't changed. Additional we downloaded the HEAD version
of excalibur-pool from your cvs server. After we used the provided
project.xml (maven) we got an 'excalibur-thread-2.0.jar' (confused,
because it is cvs HEAD).

Question:
-----------
1. Is this an known bug?
2. Is 'excalibur-pool-1.2.jar' the recommended version?
3. When is the newer version 'excalibur-pool-2.0.jar' released (no cvs
HEAD) and provided?
4. Is there any project.xml (including junit) for excalibur-pool-1.2.jar?
5. Some guy told me something about excalibur-pool-1.1.jar, but I can't
find. Is it recommended?

Many thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Holger

Re: WG: excalibur-pool bug? ..

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Thursday 08 April 2004 22:42, Holger Faltinsky/Denic wrote:

> We are running Avalon phoenix 4.0.4 which is accompanied by
> excalibur-pool-1.0.jar and excalibur-thread-1.1.1.jar in a production
> environment. We are facing problems with the SoftResourceLimitingPool.

> Question:
> -----------
> 1. Is this an known bug?
Perhaps :o(
Maybe the ECM/Fortress gang (Berin, Carsten, Leo ?) can help out here.

> 2. Is 'excalibur-pool-1.2.jar' the recommended version?

It should. Carsten and Leo Sutic worked hard to make that release a few months
ago, since a fair number of patches had been applied to the CVS over a full
year.

> 3. When is the newer version 'excalibur-pool-2.0.jar' released (no cvs
> HEAD) and provided?

That should be a matter of weeks. 2.0 has very few code changes and are
centered around removal of deprecated stuff, different structure and have

> 4. Is there any project.xml (including junit) for excalibur-pool-1.2.jar?

Yes, in the CVS module avalon-excalibur/pool

> 5. Some guy told me something about excalibur-pool-1.1.jar, but I can't
> find. Is it recommended?

1.2 has a couple of patches in it from 1.1. Whether 1.1 and/or 1.2 contains
the fix for what you are experiencing is beyond my knowledge.

Cheers
Niclas