Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Raj Dasgupta <Ra...@exostar.com> on 2003/08/29 19:54:41 UTC

/usr/ucb/cc: language optional software package not installed

Whenever I try to run the configure command , I get the following error.  I
am loading gcc so I can compile the TomCat connector source.  (Sorry, I know
the issue below is not directly Tomcat related)

sudo ./configure
Configuring for a sparc-sun-solaris2.8 host.
Created "Makefile" in /opt/gcc/gcc-3.3.1 using "mh-frag"
/usr/ucb/cc:  language optional software package not installed
*** The command 'cc -o conftest -g   conftest.c' failed.
*** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.

Re: /usr/ucb/cc: language optional software package not installed

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
Like the message says, you need a working compiler (which on Solaris
/usr/ucb/cc definitely isn't ;-).  I've never tried it, but I believe that
the Forte (or, rather, whatever it is being called these days) complier can
be used to build gcc.  Otherwise, you are stuck with downloading the binary
gcc from sunfreeware or otherwise.