Posted to dev@storm.apache.org by Bobby Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID> on 2015/03/24 15:00:00 UTC

DISCUSS: Apache Storm possibly combining with JStorm

I recently got an e-mail asking for confirmation about this, so I wanted to be sure that everyone on the dev list was made aware of what was happening and had a place to discuss it.  JStorm is a fork of Apache Storm where the clojure code was translated into java code.  The two projects have diverged somewhat since the fork, but both projects have been talking with one another about combining.  The discussion up to this point really has been would this even be possible?  Both groups seem amicable to the idea, but this is a community driven project and we want to be sure all important decisions like this are made out in the open.  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STORM-717 is a JIRA to work through how to combine the two projects.  If you or anyone else has an opinion on this please feel free to discuss it on that JIRA on here.  The goal would be to maintain binary compatibility for the public java and thrift APIs, internal APIs, dependencies and some plug-in APIs like the nimbus scheduler may change.  I personally feel that it would be great to have both groups working together instead of duplication of effort and that having more of the code base in java would possibly make it more accessible to a wider range of developers.  But I would encourage others with opinions to express them here too.

The exact details of how all of this would work are still up in the air,  but in all likelihood the two codebases would remain side by side in the apache repo while efforts are made to port functionality over to the java based version from the clojure based one.  I don't know if clojure will completely disappear form the core of storm or not.
 - Bobby

Re: DISCUSS: Apache Storm possibly combining with JStorm

Posted by Bobby Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.
Yes thanks for the clarification Taylor.
 - Bobby

     On Tuesday, March 24, 2015 1:16 PM, P. Taylor Goetz <pt...@gmail.com> wrote:

 Just to provide some additional clarification beyond what Bobby already stated with regard to JStorm:

NO decisions have been made at this point. What has happened is the JStorm developers have expressed interest in donating the JStorm source code to Apache Storm in order to facilitate collaboration.

In order for us to accept that code donation, we must first complete the IP clearance process [1]. Only after that process is complete can the Storm community decide to merge the JStorm code into the Apache Storm project.

Any decisions related to actually accepting and merging the JStorm code will be made in the open by the Apache Storm community, and all members of the community are welcome to participate in that process.

-Taylor

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bobby Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.
In all likelihood both code bases would coexist for a while until the features added to Storm can be ported over to JStorm, and any discrepancies between the two can be worked out.
 - Bobby

     On Thursday, March 26, 2015 9:27 AM, Supun Kamburugamuva <su...@gmail.com> wrote:

 Having a Java code base would hugely decrease the barrier for programmers
like myself who are willing to contribute, but are not familiar with
Clojure.

How is this merge going to happen if it at all happens.. Both code bases
co-exists?

Thanks,
Supun..

--
Supun Kamburugamuva
E-mail: supun06@gmail.com;  Mobile: +1 812 369 6762

Re: DISCUSS: Apache Storm possibly combining with JStorm

Posted by Supun Kamburugamuva <su...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brian O'Neill <bo...@alumni.brown.edu>.
<fwiw>