Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org> on 2001/04/02 23:20:56 UTC

Tomcat 4.0-beta-2 Security Vulnerability

As you've seen from bug reports to BugTraq@securityfocus.com, the Beta 2
release of Tomcat 4.0 has a security vulnerability that can expose JSP
file source code.  A partial fix to this problem was implemented prior to
shipping beta 2, but it did not deal with all possible causes.

The actual bug (URL decoding the static file path in DefaultServlet even
though the container now does this) was fixed by Remy this morning, and I
just fixed the same vulnerability in the SSI servlet.  The question is,
what do we do about beta 2?

I suggest that we create a revised version of beta 2, clearly labelled so
that people will know whether they have the corrected version or not --
and we should do this immediately (like today) to minimize the number of
people who end up downloading twice.

I suggest we call the updated version "Tomcat 4.0-beta-2-update-1" or
something like that.

Comments?  Votes?

Craig

Re: Tomcat 4.0-beta-2 Security Vulnerability

Posted by Meir Faraj <fa...@netvision.net.il>.
> > > I suggest that we create a revised version of beta 2, clearly labelled
so
> > > that people will know whether they have the corrected version or
not --
> > > and we should do this immediately (like today) to minimize the number
of
> > > people who end up downloading twice.
> > >
> > > I suggest we call the updated version "Tomcat 4.0-beta-2-update-1" or
> > > something like that.
> > >
> > > Comments?  Votes?
> > >
> > > Craig
> >
> > -1 on an update. it just adds confusion imho and i don't see a reason to
> > resist having many beta releases.
> >
> > Just make a beta 3.
> >
> > -jon
>
> I agree, beta 3 avoids confusion.
>
> +1 for a beta 3 release.
>
> Glenn
+1 for beta 3 ;-) is too confusing to create update version

Re: Tomcat 4.0-beta-2 Security Vulnerability

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>.

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 3 Apr 2001, Punky Tse wrote:

> And I think it is also good to state in the mail-announcement and in the
> jakarta website that the b2 have such security vulnerability when b3 is
> rolled out.

It will.  The beta-2 release is also going to get pulled so that no one
will download it accidentally.

> Punky

Craig

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.